Friday, September 8, 2017

Playing Hard

The berries on the sumac always make me think of adding large amounts of honey to and making pink lemonade. A teacher introduced me to this in 5th grade, and as in many things she offered stayed with me the rest of my life. That is a main reason I am the scientist I have been all my life.

As  another hurricane approaches I shudder since I will be going to Miami the first part of next month and stay for a few days before embarking on a seven day cruise in the Caribbean. I wonder if they notify you and tell you if your hotel has blown away. Many years back we went and did repairs in Homestead, when they nearly got wiped off the map. A group here is headed to Texas to do the same.  We have sent water and cleaning supplies down a week ago and now this will be the second group to leave with more supplies and a few handymen. For those of you who have been involved or have family and friends in either areas I hope for the best outcome.

Barn swallows are flocking out on the prairie.
Pale Gentian is always a treat to find.







Grazing by buffalo and elk kept these tall grasses down so prairie flowers could flourish.


Partridge Pea

Smooth Goldenrod


10 comments:

  1. I've made lemonade with sumac berries. I was surprised how much it tasted like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glorious nature, captured beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your pictures of prairie grasses. They are so beautiful waving in the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a delicate ecosystem & looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never heard of making lemonade with sumac berries. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steve - so interesting to see the sumac and its use ... I'll look at sumac with an enlightened eye in future. I just hope there aren't too many lives lost or too much damage - hope might be the word. Wonderful the communities are going down to help as much as they can. I sure hope the cruise can go - take care - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Florida. Isn't that a mess. We were wondering about cruises too, how the docks are affected, etc.
    Hope there's no glitches for your cruise. What fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Several years ago another blogger told me about making sumac tea. It was the first time I found out that these could be used to drink. It's always good to learn new things and read new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you have the opportunity to do so, you need to thank that 5th grade teacher for the lasting influence he or she had on your life. That would mean so much to the teacher. I had no idea that sumac berries could be used in that way. I would have thought they'd be poisonous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please take care on your trip! I feel for everyone who has went through these storms! Thank you for the gorgeous pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!