Wednesday, September 27, 2017

In The Greenhouse

                 A nice selection of insect eating plants.



My undergrad studies were in education with a science endorsement centered around botany. I had my first commercial garden at nine years old. I went door to door selling every item for a nickel. I encouraged my children to do the same and they are very active gardeners also. We often share the labor canning and preserving vegetables plus love for the land.










      Egg carton flowers hang on a string, having been prepared by visiting schoolchildren. This is a haven of beauty for many and a favorite place for me sometimes to gather my thoughts.

    This has been a bumpy week  for me, with a variety of setbacks. I had to go into the hospital for heart problems that have plagued me for years. As I write this I am still in bed, waiting to have another angiogram and stent placed into my heart. An update is they put two stents in me and I have hopes of going home.The care has been marvelous and I have told many it is a spa treatment. Yesterday I joked in the lab I was like a secret shopper who goes and reviews a business. I told them I might come down early today just to chat with all of them and see what is new.

      On another thought I am getting married this Saturday. I have lived by myself for the last sixteen years and this is going to  be a remarkable event for both of us. We were introduced by the library ladies this last year, their warning her I had avoided all previous advances by others.

    I had booked a cruise out of Miami into the western Caribbean back in March.  I found an exceptional bargain not thinking it was because it was during hurricane season, a gamble one must take. All the areas we will visit  are relatively unscathed, so I look forward to enjoying a nice trip.

   So with a few bumps in the road I have a positive outlook to pursue a shared life with a lovely lady. I never say I can't do anything without giving it my best always. The preparation has sometimes floored me, the last time I did this was in 1983. I had parents and family still around to do a lot of the work. My happiness spreads to all of you, carried on a gentle prairie breeze.


18 comments:

  1. Hi Steve - love the flowers, while the handsome man in the middle - looks pretty interesting too ... he'd be a great guide of plants outside and in - well done on instilling similar interests to your kids and grand ones too.

    So pleased you've a new lady love and that the holiday looks to be all set - just go and enjoy yourselves ... but take care of that heart - I sure hope all will be well for a while yet ... enjoy and cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, good for you. Sixteen years is a long time. I'm sorry about your heart issues and they are never fun to deal with, but sounds like you made the best of it. Nice greenhouse; I found out the big greenhouse I got wasn't big enough and quickly filled up. Quite a gift you passed on to the kids. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't you the sly one, just casually mentioning you're getting married on Saturday! LOL! Congratulations! :-) I wish you both much happiness. I hope she loves nature just as much as you, and you will share many adventures together.
    Those flowers are so vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish you and your new wife the very best. May you have a long and happy life together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! I don't know what to say first, get better soon or congratulations. Best wishes to both of you

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have a wonderful attitude!Hope your health issues get resolved.
    what a lovely peaceful blog:)
    congratulations on your upcoming nuptials!
    Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations and best wishes to you and your lovely lady. I also am thankful you have received great care and that all goes well with your health. I enjoyed these beautiful flowers. Here in Georgia, we love to visit Gibbs Gardens and/or Callaway Gardens. Again, all the best to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  8. congratulations on your new venture in life. obviously she must like gardening and the outdoors as much as you do. glad the procedure went well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations for many happy years together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hang in there Steve and congratulations...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the gardens. There is definitely a sense of peace. Sending good energy to you and your bride. Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your impending nuptials! I hope you heal quickly so you can enjoy your beautiful day. The photos are wonderful as always. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stopping by to say that I hope you are improving each day and I sincerely wish you and your bride a special wedding day and enjoyable honeymoon trip.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The flowers are great and in a great place. You've really been having some down times and now some up times. I hope you feel better soon, and it looks like you will.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The flowers are beautiful! Thinking of you today and wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have an amazing soul my friend!
    Gorgeous flowers, as always! I so appreciate your love for mother earth!
    Sending you healing prayers, for your heart! I'm sorry you have to go through this!
    Happy Marriage! I am so happy for you and your bride!
    Big Crow Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my God...all those flowers are soooo beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such beautiful colour in the flowers.
    Sending my good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!