Monday, August 7, 2017

Summer Slips By





It amazes me how fast this summer has gone. I have been busy all the time, sometimes one needs to just sit and watch the prairie grow. I started out last night without a camera but felt out of place not having one with the sun setting and clouds moving in. I regained my composure and knew my journey would be short, I was fixing a late meal for friends when they got off from their jobs, and left without that camera.

After riding across the state on bicycles, I have noticed a few who retained their ride attitude. I have to admit, I have been craving pie and biscuits and gravy made by the various churches. I have always been more partial toward the Methodists with the biscuits and gravy. It is always a sure win through the years. I like to set a standard good price for a slice of pie, and tend to eat a piece at any stand that might have cheap slices. My best daily was nine pieces, but it was a day with a 100 mile trip. One tends to burn lots of calories, but looking into the mirror , not enough. Riding in large groups allows you to draft with many others, but you still need the fuel. this ride is a miniature town with over 15,000  riders. When they pull in for stop they have many times more than doubled the population.

A Corn Festival is this next weekend in my little town. We meet and shuck corn on Friday, then it is all the sweet corn one can eat on Saturday. Many celebrate class reunions to coincide with this event so the little town will become big. It is nice how everyone volunteers to make this festival a real hit. People come from all over to share in this event.
















18 comments:

  1. Today must be butterfly day:)
    Pie is my favorite food, though biscuits and gravy (if I can get it without sausage) are close behind.
    You stay really active!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Summer comes and goes by so quickly! Hope you have great fun this weekend!
    Love the photos!
    Hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, beautiful images, as always, Steve. You could almost persuade me to take up bike riding with your description of that ride across the state...almost. The Corn Festival sounds like a great small-town tradition. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, summer is definitely slowing down. Our evenings are much shorter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All-you-can-eat-sweet-corn day reminds me of watermelon day in a town I lived in. They are such good times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I am impressed. They'd have to pull me behind a truck, pie in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A corn festival is something I need to look for here. I've been trying to get out more into the community around here, as well as seeing more nature.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Steve - had some fresh corn last weekend ... so so good, still in its cob, and so fresh. Enjoy the festival - it's wonderful when people/communities get together ... a long bike ride - I've never done a group one though. Wonderful nature ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love small town life. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice cup plant there. I finally got one to grow on my too shady tiny prairie plot...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos. Enjoy the festival, we had our first corn on the cob this year last week. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Summer has gone by way too fast. A corn festival sounds fun

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cycling & pie along the route sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Enjoy your weekend! Summer is over here, as students go back to school tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to get some Coneflowers.
    You know I haven't seen a Monarch in a long, long time. I used to see them all the time. Kinda scary isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Butterflies are lovely, so too are cone flowers.
    Great selection of photo's.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. These pictures just look so warm and filled with sunshine.
    How many miles do you walk each day, Steve?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous pictures! I love pie! Peach is my favourite!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!