Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Country Fair

Osage Orange or Hedge Apple


Practicing for the eclipse.
Heading over hill and dale.
Well over a few hills, that is quite a cliff to climb after crossing the river.

Lets take a look over here Papa.
I'm behind the scenes holding each boy up while their mom takes the picture.

You boys hungry?  We can take a picnic over by the feeders.
Female Oriole
Turtle Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Chipmunk
Blue Jay
The Goldfinch is the Iowa state bird. This male has some really nice plumage.
I saw an armadillo the other day
By the road, no longer able to play
It didn't have very much to say.

15 comments:

  1. I don't have many goldfinches in the city and enjoy seeing them searching for seeds. At the farm, there are many. Saw two hawk parents flying with their newly fledged baby yesterday, teaching it how to hunt. I bet that takes a long time unless a bug or something flies in its mouth. They had black tails underneath and light grayish plumage and were smaller than a red-tailed hawk. Not sure what they were.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much to see and do at the fair. Love the birds!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everybody clearly had fun at the fair! Lovely to see your state bird!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cut-out pictures of the boys are precious. You have some lovely pictures of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos! I must admit I've never seen an Osage Orange before....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like everyone had all kinds of fun.
    I love the bird shots. So bright and clear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that osage orange looks neither like an orange nor an apple.

    ReplyDelete
  8. With those two little guys, I'll bet you learned much more than most days.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know the goldfinch was the Iowa state bird. Now I like it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A fun post. Love all the bird photos, especially the Oriole and the Goldfinch.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Steve - the hedge-apple seems an amazing plant ... not fit to eat, but to use in a variety of ways ... and love being taken on a tour of the Fair and your prairie ... then the picnic by the feeders - looks fun for the kids ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos!! I love the children pictures! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!