Thursday, May 25, 2017

Memorial Weekend


I am hoping that you all have a memorable weekend for Memorial Day. As a child my father loaded up all the boys and we went and decorated graves. After that, his school had an all school reunion since it had closed in  1968 with  failing population. The town he grew up in has about 80 people now, but was never more than 400. Out family homesteaded in the area in the late 1800's and we have two family cemeteries in the area, one for the Catholics and the other for the Protestants. It has became my tradition to do the same with my fathers passing a few decades ago, but I go earlier to decorate. I spend my weekend cooking with a friend in Kansas City all weekend for the local hospice who had taken care of his wife in her last days. This will be the third year. Last year we fixed seven cases of pork baby back ribs and 7 whole beef briskets. I fixed ribs for over 14 hours one day. His grill is huge and one with wheels like a trailer. 
Some of you may celebrate with a religious observance.


I always see peonies in bloom and think how they always were in bloom with the iris this time of year at the cemeteries.







But what else could I be doing, this is a good time of year  for fishing.

I will observe it all and be thankful for all the good memories.

9 comments:

  1. Nice memories of Memorial Day. My father also made a big deal about it. We learned to honor our ancestors that way. My grandmother loved peonies. Her favorite flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve - lovely to read about your traditions and the history of your father and his town. It's excellent you'll be helping out decorate the churches and then helping your friend with the grill over the weekend ... lots of wonderful food for everyone. The hospices deserve so much from us.

    Love the peonies - they are just beautiful flowers ... especially the ice-pink ones ... interesting you have them in the cemeteries ... I don't think I've seen them in ours ... mostly roses and trees.

    Enjoy the fish ... but more importantly have a weekend of helping, caring and bringing joy to others over this Memorial weekend - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you for decorating the graves for Memorial Day. I live about two hours from where my parents are buried and it means so much that others devote their time to decorate and pay tribute to my father. There are many peonies in my hometown cemetery, also. Your pictures of these peony blooms are so pretty. Great looking fish too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope your Memorial Weekend is memorable as well. How kind of you to feed so many people. That is a great approach to living, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nothing prettier than peonies, but they bloom for such a short time here. Perhaps it is all the wind or rain. Have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. those peonies are so pretty. can't grow them down here. gets too hot. I remember last year when you cooked all those ribs. I like that stone sculpture too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You and your dad both had/have good traditions for this holiday. Hope you have good weather for your hospice cookout.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good plan for the holiday weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely flowers but wait! Are you kissing a fish?

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!