Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Boyhood Haunts And More

The six males circled around a young female and she seemed flustered with all the attention. She eventually stepped out of the water and then they all wanted to still chase the other males off. This small flock had stopped nearby and fragmented from a larger flock. I like the tight curls on their tail, and colorful plumage. Mallards were the first duck I probably identified and always look for each spring. They were too engrossed in life to worry about the human nearby. Tired , many tucked their heads and took a quick nap. As children we dangled a string in this pond many times to catch crawfish, sometimes returning them on orders from our mothers.
 


I marvel at times when we sat up in this tree over a half century ago. I was glad to see it still standing.





Some rather pushy visitors to the area, they still are waiting for a flock of females to arrive.



12 comments:

  1. Hi Steve - lovely photos - and oh yes I used to love climbing trees and wave in the wind as it blew through the tree ... fun to see - thanks - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of wonderfu feathered friends

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Steve, I enjoyed your childhood memories and the pics very much. That huge tree reminds me very much of an old pecan tree that still grows in the yard of my childhood home. I never climbed it, but my dad did make me a swing with a board and rope! All of the birds are pretty but I especially love seeing the Cardinals. I will be shipping my laptop off tomorrow, but I'll catch up with you hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing like a little nostalgia from childhood memories...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mallard was the first bird I ever remember seeing. I was about 4 and Mom took me to see a "pretty " bird on a nearby slough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like those red winged black birds. The mallards are pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that tree. I would have spent a lot of time in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love all the fine feathered friends! I am fond of mallards as well. We used to get a pair on our pond every year and we named them (though they didn't know it! lol) Drake and Deidre. Every year we convinced ourselves that it was the same pair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, that tree! It's gorgeous. And I can imagine the childhood memories of climbing and sitting in it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that's a pretty magnificent tree.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like this. You always get a nice variety of birds. I'm even getting a few birds around here. I think maybe I need to get out my good camera instead of using just my phone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these pictures! That is one big tree!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!