Sunday, March 5, 2017

Strolling At The Amana Colonies

I spent a few days in eastern Iowa. One of my destinations each day was to the Amana Colonies for good food and other treats. I became well known at a local meat market. No not the disco type place , but a good source for meats, cheeses, bread and milk. The colonies were established by a group of German people who broke away from the Lutheran Church in the middle 1700's. They often were persecuted for their beliefs and moved around looking for an area they could benefit from. Moving to the states in the early 1800's they first settled in New York before coming to eastern  Iowa. They shared meals prepared in communal kitchens, four to six kitchens were in each of the seven established villages. nobody cooked in their homes.  Most of the homes and buildings were constructed with a local sandstone.They produced all that they used and needed, not looking outside of their world for anything needed. Their lifestyle continued into the 1930's when their group slowly split up and combined with the local populace. Their legacy still is maintained and local restaurants serve family style, each side dish in a bowl to serve around the table.



I liked the usage of scrap metals to make these draft horses. The heads are made from milk cans.




Today many shops exist to appeal to the tourists who visit. I was amused with  this one that appeals to those who enjoy large ornamentation in their yards.

Local sandstone was used to build many buildings and homes.
The remnants of an early power plant for a woolen mill. The stream next to this also provided power to work the mill  with.

This is now a small hotel.
I often analyze what people place in their yards for ornamentation. This is one store you can find just about anything. I can't believe I left empty handed.LOL



Virgo streaked skies
Always evoke a gentle dream
Softly falling on the prairie's shoulders.

17 comments:

  1. What a fun and fascinating place. I would enjoy that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love poking around those places. We have many sects here in OK. Amish and Mennonite; some eschew electricity and cars, others have started using modern conveniences. They still make their own clothes and very many of them either make quilts or bakeries that sell wonderful bread and pastries. They don't interact with outsiders too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an interesting place to visit. The founders of the colonies sound a bit like Amish. I imagine the food is pretty good at the restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read about the Amana Colonies before. This is a place I would like to visit. I find the yard ornamentation interesting! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've given me some homework. I've never heard of the Amana colonies so now I'll have to loo0k it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish more people knew about the contributions of the people from the colonies. Even though they don't embrace modern conveniences they have made those quality conveniences we rely on. All Amana electrical appliances were made originally in the Amana Colonies. The most recent contribution I know of is the energy-efficient space heaters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve - what a fascinating place to be introduced to ... loved knowing the existence of this colony ... such an interesting history - and how it's still going strong ... Glad you had a few days away - it sounds a happy time ... cheers Hilary

    PS - how do you get the elephant home? can't do that in bite size pieces??!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a wonderful place. I really like all the statues. There are so many interesting places to visit in Iowa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea of the communal kitchen. The Amana Colonies sound interesting to learn about!

    Great sky shots at the end, and love the poetry of your last few lines. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like Michelle, I've read about the Amama colonists and your photos of the barns and buildings are wonderful - especially liked the draft horses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sounds like a good outing. I'd have had to come away with at least one new piece of yard art.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What fun. Fascinating history.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the history. Beautiful photos. There is a person in our town that has a yard filled with ornaments and they aren't selling them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. One of our favorite places for a short visit. I do love the German cooking. We also always stop for lunch after picking our son and his Arizona family at the Cedar Rapids airport. Jawohl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful area! Thank you for sharing the history! I love the lawn ornaments! And that sky picture is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks like a really neat place. I like the draft horse statue.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to visit here. Your photos are awesome. Can't believe you did not pick up a BIG yard ornament! lol
    I have never visited your part of the country, so the pictures are fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!