Friday, March 17, 2017

Spring Is Near

Out at the cabin, minding the farm




Huge flocks of blackbirds have been roosting for the night and continuing on their journey every night. On a mass flight off it sounded like a small jet turbine on takeoff and when doing a synchronized turn.

They all seem to know me, and don't realize I have a hearty appetite for a good steak or prime rib.

This snake came out of a crack between the sidewalk and the door, it was too cold, so it went back in. It was amazing to watch it descend underground being so large. It was hard to imagine how it found this particular area.



A massive wildfire created from high winds on day old embers ignited a huge area not too far away from where I live. It jumped a small two lane road and a four lane interstate. Flames were huge as it rolled across the prairie and fields. Five different fire departments joined to fight this massive blaze.
This resin fence melted like butter





14 comments:

  1. Love the picture of the bluebird house. We haven't seen any red-wing blackbirds here yet. We always look forward to their return. Sounds like a pretty scary situation with the prairie fire. The "butter" fence made me smile, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the birdhouse photo. That looked like a rattlesnake skin. Was it a viper?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that blue sky in the last 2 shots. Scary how easy a big fire can grt started

    ReplyDelete
  4. What kind of a snake was that? I wouldn't have been brave enough to photograph it!
    Lovely sky shots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was surprised to see the snake. But it won't be long and they will be out again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cows and blackbirds are good to see. I like watching them all the time. I'm glad to keep the snakes and wildfires in just pictures. Still, they're both interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always want to know what kind of snake it is. Have you heard about pythons in the Everglades? Yikes! I would love to see the huge flocks of blackbirds on the wing. We have them here, but just small groups.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh that fire is just awful! And the snake! I'm afraid he would have been bested if I had been there...I do not like snakes and I would give them a chance to go back to hiding! Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. gorgeous blue sky. glad they got the fire out and all it burned was dry grass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Steve - what a melted mess ... I'm glad the fire was safely put out though. That snake would have sent me dashing off - what sort was it? It was quite big though wasn't it ...

    Love the animoooools and the birds and views and that person a-sitting peacefully in the Spring air ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was laughing about your steak comment! LOL! The snake kind of freaked me out! I'm sorry about the wildfire! Take Care!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Morning! I remember as a child the sound of those birds taking off! That is awful about the fire. I've never seen one of those fences melted like that. You have a great place to sit and relax. Enjoy your Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So sorry about the wildfire.
    Don't you just love watching huge flocks of birds. It always amazes me.
    Not a snake person......
    Enjoy the rest of your weekend, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Snakes bromate here. So on a warm day, they may be out. But usually they stay holed up until April or May. That was a big one.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!