Friday, January 13, 2017

January Begins

It's always nice to be on manicured ice. I am more used to pond ice, which has it's own personality, and carrying a hockey stick. I like to watch real good skaters swoop and weave through the crowd. It is almost like a puzzle each lap around the rink. I can't believe the month staying either warm or bitter cold. The other day even though I was working out hard, the tips of my fingers and toes gradually became numb from the cold. While outside one keeps moving every part of your body to keep the blood circulation going to maintain endurance in the cold. This last week pouring another mug of coffee I commented I might just fill my pockets also. I still wait for a good snow to cross country ski in. I am suppose to go on a snowshoe excursion the end of this month and am not sure we will even need them.I am headed to the gym and ready to swim and do a nice workout followed by a sauna, whirlpool and steam bath I call the spa treatment. LOL
Wild Turkey
Bald Eagle

Love snow
Free range rabbit
Male Downy Woodpecker

Black-capped Chickadee

Male Cardinal

Female Cardinal
White-throated Sparrow


12 comments:

  1. And we think a hard freeze is 25 degrees Fahrenheit. The nature of ice and snow is foreign to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like ice. I fall down. The heart in the snow must have been fun to make. And of course the cardinals... what can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is pretty to see the wildlife and you would like the winter and cold in Iowa. Icing here but I think we are going to miss the worst of it. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos. Love the chickadees!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't remember the last time I was on ice skates. When I was a kid there was a neighbor who made an ice rink in his back yard for al the neighbors to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked the feathery sky shot. All the bird shots are nice, but my favorite is the one of the female cardinal. You really captured the beauty in her subtle coloring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful critters! Our weather has been all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Steve - well you've got things to look forward to ... snow-shoeing - must make things so much easier. Then cross-country skiing ... I never really got into skiing ... but it wasn't something I was brought up on ...

    Cheers and love those shots - seeing the wild turkey is a treat - I wrote about Joe Hutto and his life as "My Life as a Turkey" - loved watching that ...

    Cheers again - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the pics. It's hard to pick out a favorite but I think it would be the hare.
    I always wanted to learn to ice skate and I too love to watch ice skaters. Poetry in motion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. the last time I went ice skating was probably 4 years ago on an outdoor rink during a warm winter and they had trouble keeping the ice frozen so the surface was a bit bumpy. I fell hard on my knees twice. after the second time I didn't go back out. too old for hard falls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a great time at the gym! Love the photos! All so beautiful! I love nature photos so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. those close-up bird shots are marvelous!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!