Saturday, December 3, 2016

Sunday Stroll: Birding, My Favorite Of Fun Things To Do

See how this Hairy Woodpecker has bristles around the base of it's bill to protect it's nostrils from sawdust. It also has a forked tongue to grab insects when excavating.
Oh my, did she really land this close?

A Pileated Woodpecker is about the size of a crow. I have been trying to get a good shot for a number of years, they are very timid. A few years back I sat in a flooded woodland hoping to get one for three days going there on a tip. I never got close, they know when you are there, but I had a relaxing time sitting in my lawn chair in the mud and water. This lady was a real treat and you know I will return hoping to see her more.


Look how that head rotates, and then off she went. Thank you dear!
Northern Cardinal male
Blue Jay

Female Northern Cardinal
A Downy Woodpecker male uses it's stiff tail feathers to form a tripod when climbing a tree. It is one of the most abundant of woodpeckers.

Visit Marcie at
https://quietcountryhouse.blogspot.com
to join these weekly strolls.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, Steve, these are grand shots. And I appreciate the tidbits of info you include.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have some great shots here. I always enjoy woodpeckers and cardinals. Two birds that visit my feeders on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some excellent shots here! These are all familiar characters. I saw two woodpeckers yesterday and have to grab a bird book to figure out which kind. I thought I saw a bit of yellow or gold on the chest of one of them, but the back and head looked mostly like a downy. Hmmmm.... I have some homework to do! lol. Thank you for posting this wonderful stroll! Mine is up too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to me that you have several good shots of the woodpecker.The other birds as well. There is something about watching birds that makes you feel at peace with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A wonderful birding adventure. So many pretty ones

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find the pileated get very close and ignore you. Yesterday we saw several and got some good shots. Good luck another time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent post with many of the birds I like the most. So good to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen a Pileated W. at a distance but never up close.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great set of images, Steve. We see Pileateds rarely here, but occasionally in the Smokies. I've never managed a photograph, though. You found a most cooperative bird. That head rotation is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have lots of woodpeckers here but I've never noticed one with bristles like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Where we lived before we had all kinds of downy woodpeckers and a couple of dozen cardinals. Those cardinals were so pretty against snow.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love pileated woodpeckers! When we lived at Bryce Resort we saw them in our yard, but since moving to the valley we see them rarely.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!