Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Fun Times

The Trumpeter swans floated so effortlessly, moving across the lake looking everything over. A few Mergansers followed along, perhaps lost from their main flock and hoping to have some direction given by the swans. Good chance they will stay until this body of water totally freezes over so I hope to visit them regularly. Life is good out on the prairie.


My daughter has a Snapchat app on her phone and changes her Facebook profile often with pics she makes. Apparently the face selections change daily.


Sitting with George Soumas, where he started his day often for years.

This was a huge art show, 110 exhibitors in over 8 buildings along with a dozen people reading daily. How could it be any better, "Out On The Prairie" at Art on the Prairie?

I can ride a bike from near my home up here on a network of over 100 miles of trails. They have a fine arts fest each month with varying themes. The one this month celebrated a music teacher with a tuba fest. A band of over forty people played, starting out at his grave, as done for over twenty years.


Famous people who built up the enjoyment of the arts in this tiny little town.
The alley where you saw me sitting with the statue of George.


I  hope you have a wonderful holiday for those of you in the United States who celebrate Thanksgiving this Thursday. I will serve at a community meal and be thankful when I get back to my quiet home. It is always fun, and my way to celebrate the holiday. It also saves me from eating too much, because you don't feel hungry after serving for four hours. On a lesser note I lost two friends this last week, both in their 90's. Wapsie Willie I had portrayed  here a few times, he was famous to show up at my home unannounced when he felt the need for good food and stories. We shared a lot and had a great time target shooting, telling fishing lies and tales of our families. I had helped take care of his wife many years back when she was diagnosed with cancer. The other was Vel, my fourth grade Sunday school teacher's wife. Because of the holiday there is a delay with her family all being able to get flights, so I will pay her a tribute on December 3rd. She had a daughter in my high school class who I have stayed friends with over the years. She told me the other day we are still best friends even though we hadn't seen each other in a few decades. I have read her message a few times and it warms my heart each time I read it.

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful shot of that cardinal! So sorry for the pain you're feeling over the loss of friends this week. That note from your high school friend is a treasure, to be kept in your "rainy day" file.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Art of the Prairie is an awesome show. I'm sorry for the loss of a good friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The art festival looks like a great adventure every month. I like the kitten nose on everyone.

    I am sorry about the loss of your friends. Heaven is brighter but our hearts are heavier with loosing people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sympathy for your losses. Love the bright cardinal and all the funny profile pics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve - loved your photos ... and see you with George Soumas .. but the poem is particularly poignant and appropriate - what an amazing read - I loved it. While the art work must be fantastic to see and be inspired by ...

    Your friends - my heart goes out to you and their families ... they sound so caring and thoughtful and fun ... so while you help the Community with your the lunch ... be at peace - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to say I'm guilty of using Snapchat as well (though I'm not posting the images anywhere :D)
    Great shots you shared today. Love the red bird against the bare tree branches. Such a great shot.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your loss. It's hard losing friends.
    And good for you for helping others on Thanksgiving.
    May your day be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always like seeing swans and the cardinal, what can I say. The red is so deep. All of the cats are adorable but I have to admit that the littlest cat is the cutest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry for the loss of your friends.
    Things are looking good on the prairie. Enjoy your Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nature and art. What more could a person want?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nature is always beautiful when we stop and enjoy it and it was lovely to see Trumpeter swans and a cardinal.
    Sorry to hear of the loss of dear friends but it seems they enjoyed life to the full and this is a great blessing to remember them by.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!