Monday, September 26, 2016

You Can Feel The Fall

A silvery plume of a milkweed seed shared the wind out on the prairie. It floated along with many others as the dried seed pods opened to share their seeds with the land around.I like watching these and day dreaming while they float and charm in the bright sunlight.Fall has arrived and soon summer clothes and dreams will be put away. Summer always brings a succession of blooms that reminds me of the return of old friends.Fall allows you time to sit and recreate these moments, but also enjoy the new vivid colors as the land slowly goes to rest.

Common Checkered Skipper
 You can see the tiny scent gland on the lower wing that identifies this as a male Monarch.Just a tiny spot it has a faithful attraction for females to be attracted to.I think of this sometimes when I throw on a splash of cologne, but it never seems to work that way. LOL
Yes, he does untangle his tiny horned head from the fence.


Common Wood Nymph
Goldenrod always announces the arrival of fall soon.


More colors of fall sneaking in.

This Lobelia was so beautiful I brought a bouquet home and admired it next to my computer.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the education on Monarchs, Steve. I'll be looking for that tiny scent gland from now on. Fall is definitely approaching. Our temperature got down into the forties last night. But I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor guy, those horns do create a problem with the fences :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes , fall brings changes. Many of our leaves are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! On the cologne:)
    Is it that black spot on the wing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos. I always like seeing the Goldenrod.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am beginning to see the colors of fall when I look out my bedroom window in the morning. It is a beautiful time of year that begs for chili and apple pie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see fall is steadily marching south. the last two mornings here have been cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The monarchs seem to be migrating through here too this week. I saw a bunch on wildflowers at the far pasture when I was running on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Steve ... I have a bunch of dahlias here - it's lovely and those leaves are starting to fall ... gorgeous insect shots you've given us ... oh yes - the cologne! Keep perservering ... I'm told it pays off - but I think I lost the plot too!! - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those little goats/kids are awfully cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Between day job, volunteering for DWB or MSF, my time outside involves a short bike ride or a long gaze at e stars at 3am. So thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!