Sunday, September 11, 2016

Soggy Morning Stroll

Showy Goldenrod
The dew was really heavy on the trail. I always have rubber boots, but didn't realize I needed them until it was too late.I made footprints while I contemplated hanging all to dry as I sat and listened to the prairie songs up in an observation tower. I hung my socks over the railing, and enjoyed the warming sun with a steady breeze in a lawn chair I had brought with me. It was almost too cool for shorts, a relief of days too hot. It had been 91F(33C) on Monday, a good day to spend at the lake.The cool was to return this weekend, making way for fall.
Tall grasses rise up and almost obscure this huge barn.

The start of another storm.

Giant Swallowtail

The Pearl Crescent is about the size of my thumbnail.
Arrowroot





A tiny mint
A Twelve-spotted Skimmer sits in a patch of Scouring Reed. It has a high silica content and a handful was useful to scrub pans out with.We used to take the sections apart and put them back together as kids, it is a unique plant to play with.Each section telescopes out of the previous one.




21 comments:

  1. It's cooler here today which is a welcome relief after the high humidity we were getting for a while

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fun set of photos, Steve. I think my favorite here is the almost-hidden barn with the bright red roof. We're cooler today, too, with the high in the low seventies. It's been awhile since we've seen that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a peaceful post. I haven't gotten out for my walk yet! I hope I get to it, after this busy, busy day. If not, your shared stroll will have to do! Love the beautiful colorful insects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way the grass is obscuring the barn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love goldenrods. Even when they die back, they dried forms are still pretty. My favorite fall wildflower is the false foxglove.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We've had very heavy dews all summer. Sometimes it doesn't dry up until 1:00PM

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ran into you at Neal Smith. Thanks for the invitation to see your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. It is a Water horehound,Lycopus americanus. It was a fun day out there tagging butterflies and meeting many with te same interests.keep in touch

      Delete
  9. Ran into you at Neal Smith. Thanks for the invitation to see your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Steve - we had a cool wet day in Oxford .. but back to sun now I'm home. Wonderful photos with story line ... loved learning about the scouring reed - fascinating uses it had ...and then that telescopic pull out ... as you say fun for kids ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that shot of the barn hiding in the grass! All great photos of the prairie and how glass like is the surface of the lake! Lovely!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My shoes are always getting drenched in my morning runs. I put them in front of a fan overnight to dry out, otherwise they start rotting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your scouring weed looks like our horsetail. had a north wind blow through last Saturday and it is rather pleasant out there this morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Horsetail is the family, there are only two plants.One is short and branched and the other, this upright rush.Here we call it Prairie scouring-rush or Smooth scouring-rush.I use reed instead of rush and not sure if there is a difference.

      Delete
  14. Interesting info on the Scouring Reed. From the side that one picture of the dragonfly looks like a little man with wings.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the flowers and insects! It's getting cooler here too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great nature scenes. Now it's starting to cool off. I'm finding I like this kind of weather.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Both sets of grandparents lived in Southern IL. There was goldenrod everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the barn obscured by the grass. It is hot here for the next two days and then I am hoping for a cooling trend. I love fall!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!