Sunday, September 4, 2016

A SundayStroll

The first new friend I found while walking on a trail was a Katydid. It was holding onto a flower and having a hard time moving on a cool damp morning. The fog had lifted and it was a beautiful day to enjoy the beauty around me.I felt a fan on my leg and discovered a huge bumblebee that had fallen from it's sleeping perch and was trying to get airborne. The shock of something that can sting made me brush it off rather quickly.The day was heating up and I was getting sweaty from all the humidity. I took off my shirt and felt the warm sun.I headed toward a wetland hoping to catch a glimpse of a Teal that had nested there all summer. It usually hears me coming and as always flew off hailing all around with a warning.
The purple pollen is all over this bee. Look at the huge pollen sack on it's rear leg. They are working hard getting ready for frost.
Will you hold still for a closeup? It did, and then jumped away.


I wondered who sampled this Fairy Ring mushroom, a sure sign of approaching fall. 

A giant Puffball sits nearby. these are edible if you catch them before they form millions of spore inside. They almost appear to look like a skull when seen from the distance.




Its the good life, out on the land I so enjoy.
This is a male Monarch. If you look at three stripes from the bottom there is a small enlargement in the middle of the stripe. That is a scent gland that drives the gals crazy.
It was nice to have you along, I usually hike by myself, so I had someone to share good thoughts with.

15 comments:

  1. Oh Wow! I've never seen a pollen sac on a bee before! SO cool...
    Love the shots!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was nice to go with you on your hike. You always find such interesting things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone is busy taking advantage of the remaining days of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The end of summer and start of fall is a wonderful time here in Georgia. From your face, I can tell that is true where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea to look for insects on a cool morning. You got some great shots.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ás always great photos. I enjoy your walks. It is warmer there. We had rain and fog all day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good to see all of these bugs in an outdoor setting. They only seem to appear to me inside my house.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw a katydid yesterday. Must be the season.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hot day for a walk but well worth it to see the sights! Great shot of the katydid!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love them all, Steve. I hear Katydids occasionally, but I seldom see them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. always enjoy your walks. I' amazed you can tell the difference in sexes on the Monarchs.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You broadened my horizons. I thought katydids were grasshoppers. Didn't realize they were relatives of grasshoppers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seeing a puffball from a distance could be a freak out:)

    You look happy:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for taking some company along on your morning hike, Steve. It was a lot cooler just reading this post as I sat in our apt.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!