Monday, August 8, 2016

Prairie Love


A tiny bird
Watches me
Enter it's garden
Out on the prairie.
"Golden Glory" Dogwood
Viceroy
Blue Vervain

Liatris
Water lily
Rattlesnake Master
Prairie Petunia
Carolina Wren flying away


Red leaved Hibiscus grace the end of a driveway
A few days glimpse at Dawn





As I gaze across the sand and silt left by winds and floods I realize how when nature changes its patterns, a catastrophe can become a new awakening. I enjoy walking and trying to imagine the glacial movements that shaped the land I live in as I also evaluate what it was like in between these periods. It takes thousands of years to sometimes really notice all these changes, something I will never get to see an ending to, but want to continue enjoying the beauty I have helped build in my lifetime. I look at life one day at a time more with age creeping up on me like a silent warrior. It is always nice to enjoy another day out on the prairie and have the chance to explore areas I have never seen before. Many tracts sit waiting for my return, almost like old friends to me because of the great amounts of time I have spent enjoying them.




11 comments:

  1. The photos are all wondrous, but the dawn pictures are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are always so pretty. Makes me want to wander around on the prairie

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many beauties here. I especially like the water lily and the winding road. That silent warrior is stalking me, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. After living so many years away from the prairie I can tell you that I appreciate every day i am here. The smells, sights, and sounds make me wonder why anyone would want to be anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve - these are lovely ... the rattlesnake master - I thought the little wren popping out of the box looked like a snake - thoughts can meld! Gorgeous plants, insects and birds and thanks for naming them for us ...

    When I look at the coast of the eastern part of southern England and know how much has changed - since the landing of William in 1066 ... let alone earlier ... I've just been to this year's archaeology symposium for Eastbourne and surrounds ... just amazing what they can tell us know ... while to think this was a forested area ... Downland is not forested!

    I like the idea of contemplating what the area was like those millennia ago ... and where each tectonic plate was - we were right down by the south pole! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. There have been natural changes which although are sometimes very destructive are however meant to be. Man today is making far greater changes to the earth. I'm fearful what will happen with global warming caused by man at a rapid rate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Watch out for those rattlesnakes... Just kidding. They are also found here on our native prairies...:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't had liatris in years. Hmm, maybe it's time to add some.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always such balm to come here - your photos capture the essence of this place.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!