Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Close To Home

The start of a rather feisty summer storm. I liked the varied colors of the clouds. Wait, I was in a tent camping, not always a fun moment . I thoroughly enjoyed this one on my cot in the middle of the tent, a great light show, with powerful winds. The tent whipped back and forth big time, but was set up by a professional who had been in numerous situations very similar to this. One summer I went through three tents. The third one lasted me two seasons until a skunk got a little to close, as in running into an open door and my tossing it out.She left a reminder not to do that ever again, and took her children elsewhere.


This Dough-boy monument was surrounded by stones laid out in the shape of a star. They were all those from this town who didn't return back alive from WWI.He has stood sentry for almost a century, 96 years.
This is in Madison County, famous for covered bridges and Robert Waller's book, "The Bridges of Madison County. "I loved both the book and movie.

And what else would one find in a cemetery?
She is just pretty to me
I need to revisit here with some bait. I was looking over some county parks I had not  been to on this day. A nice little pond to catch nice big bass.


This was a rare find. Asclepias tuberosa or Butterfly Milkweed has orange flowers. I like the yellow and will try to get back here for some seeds to try out.Here are some orange flowers below.

Thistle often catches different light and shows a very beautiful bloom.
Ironweed
Bellflower is in the same family as bluebells, but gets up to five foot tall.




13 comments:

  1. A lovely collection of photos. I do not envy your tent in the storm situation. I was once kept up most of the night by frogs jumping on our tent only to slide back down and start back again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember being in a tent on a ridge once during a really violent storm. I really thought I was toast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely photos as usual. I have some of the yellow butterfly weed. do you suppose Mr. Graves was a gravedigger?

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. I had to laugh about the skunk.
    I love all the pics especially the storm clouds...outstanding.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A skunk's reminder would have been potent then!
    Love the shots of the thistles and bellflowers as bluebells are my favourite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was lucky with my tent during the worst storm i had in tenting. I was away visiting when the deluge and rain storm hit. Great thundercloud build up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Funny story of the skunk in the tent. I watched the storms from my easy chair with the front door open. It seems to be safer that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Steve - cruel clouds ... but can see another part of your world here .. wonderful photos and thoughts ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. During a strong storm a tent is not where I would want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The tombstone is a hoot:)
    I might have mentioned before, we found one that was made up primarily of Hamm and Bones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely wonderful post. The sky photos are incredible. And the rest just a pleasure to peruse and read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm either confused or not familiar with the term Butterfly Milkweed. Perhaps its the color....:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'd have fled to my vehicle and watched the storm from there rather than from a tent. You got some great thistle shots. Interesting how such a pesty plant can be so beautiful sometimes.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!