Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Big Bend

A relatively new prairie restoration, about twenty years old. This is an area I would like to saturate with bluebird houses. With over 750 acres including a tract running along a river, it always has something new for me to see. There is a Big bend National Park, but it is in Texas. This is a county park near where I live, so I go often to enjoy it's beauty.





A beetle hotel, attracting many wanting to build their population.
Monarchs were all over, most being females I hoped laying eggs.


A baby on adjacent land basking in the summer sun.I chatted a bit but was largely ignored.
Northern Cloudywings, the male is tattered from many brief encounters.

You can see how one area has been mowed to hay and spread on new areas at another park.

The only male I saw on this day.
Prairie Gentian

18 comments:

  1. Looks like a wonderful place. Love those blue skies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely to see this area being restored and the butterflies enjoying the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some lovely photos. Always nice to see nature at work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Restful set of photos. I learned the difference between a male and female monarch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the whole concept - and especially real life implementation - of Prairie Restoration! Nice to see it through your eyes. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The many prairie restoration areas and conservation areas are places I wish everyone could see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many Monarchs! And the sweet little lamb. And the poor Cloudywing. He'd have some stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great that somebody thinks it's important enough to conserve some natural prairie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely butterflies and the lamb is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Steve - these are wonderful ... and how I too would like to wander and enjoy the expanse. Poor Northern Cloudywing - still that's its life ... thanks for these - I should think the lamb was happily sleeping or daydreaming before it was disturbed by a talker!! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty! Twenty years ago we took our honeymoon in Big Bend in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Big Bend? I was going to say, that's in my neck of the woods as long as it's a very long neck since it's a 24 hour drive from here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. now that I think about it, I'm probably closer to your Big Bend than I am to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that sweet baby. The monarch pics are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. did I say 24 hours? what was I thinking. it's only 12 hours to my Big Bend. so closer than yours.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you helped the little goat who was polite enough to say thaaanks:) Hope you're having a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your photos! After our conversation at Saylorville I realize I need to return my camera and upgrade!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your photos! After our conversation at Saylorville yesterday I realize I need to return my camera and upgrade!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!