Friday, July 8, 2016

A Sultry Walk

Both of these are cultivated in the garden, but really pretty coneflower species.

The air was so thick, one could almost cut it with a knife. Hot humid days are here for a bit, with some reprieve for the first few days of the month. I actually wore a jacket while out at the lake on the first three mornings of July. The heat brings on summer vegetables and I have enjoyed sweet corn every day this week. I am casting a slab today for a new greenhouse, a nice addition to the farm.




Frostweed


Grey-headed Coneflower


A tiny Pearl Crescent floated along with me hiking. It seemed to need a little company,and I enjoyed having it along.
Goldfinch

This female Dicksissel blends in so well
Blue vervain

14 comments:

  1. Those are gorgeous coneflower. I planted some this year but they didn't come up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the picture of the frog. They all take a nosedive when you walk near a wet area here. The water is too murky to see much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good! Sorry about the humidity in your area. Plants wilt in that muggy air - and so do people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a sucker for pictures of fields of flowers. Very nice. I was out in the heat and humidity the other day and overdid. I ended up feeling sick for the rest of the day. I was not smart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those coneflowers are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of those garden-variety cone flowers are beautiful. I love the color in those in the second picture. Great shots of all the flowers, dragonflies, and the bee. The photo of the pearl crescent butterfly shows its tiny size nicely, with the clover to give perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I planted some coneflower this year - one of them looks like the second pic - they are beautiful plants and flower like crazy :o) It's stifling here; heat index up over 100 today (ick). As always, great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool weather didn't seem to harm your flowers. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I saw the goldfinch and realized how much I miss seeing them myself. I know they come around here but I haven't seen one in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are great shots. I'd love to have a greenhouse..fresh veggies all year long would be my goal! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All of the flowers are gorgeous! I think I'd like a greenhouse!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. love the wildflowers. hot and humid here for the duration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos. Wearing a jacket? Really? We have heat indexes of 105 for the next week. Thinking I need to head north.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The first two Coneflowers are simply beautiful! I enjoyed your other photos too!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!