Thursday, June 16, 2016

Hot, Hot, Hot

Twelve-spotted Skimmer
When it is 95F(35C) it is hard to navigate in life. I went to cooler and shady area to try and enjoy the day. I started early in the morning when I heard the first bird sing. The humidity was so high I had to change my clothes again, I could have rung out my shirt.
Even this poor Cardinal was trying to stay in the shade.
Giant Swallowtail
Didn't find any fairies or wood elves under any of these.

Lets wade a bit in this cool stream, then sit on a rock until our feet dry enough to put back on shoes and socks.
Scorpionfly
Showy Milkweed has narrower leaves and an elegant, fragrant bloom.
Later in the week.....
 
 A fun morning with my youngest daughter and her two boys. I took them to a lake with lots of fish to catch so the boys would get experienced and have a good time. We caught over 75 fish, all returned back to the lake. It was hard to stop so when they were getting tired, they sat on their mom's lap. The youngest is not an early morning guy anyway, so slumped down and took a nap.I never have fished with a sleeping child, let alone two kids on my lap. Their mom was doing this at the same age, and loves to fish. I kept bait on her hook, and took fish off for her so she could maneuver her children. Each time I helped I did so in reverence, acknowledging times in  the past when I had taken her out.It brought back some wonderful memories and we finished the day at my place eating lunch and any available snacks I keep in quantity for their visits. There was rumors that my daughter caught the most, at least in her words. She had a huge bass snap her line, so the one that got away was the biggest she said.They really enjoy coming over and request it often. They think  I must be lonely because I live by myself. I will spend Father's Day with them Sunday, celebrating some of the best things in my life.


On any holiday where we fly our flags, a local civic group, the Lion's Club, places flags on tall poles in peoples yards for a small contribution for the year. Many people buy more than one, and my tiny town shines with the patriotism it promotes. On Flag Day a strong series of storms moved through, but a boy scout and his grandfather braved the storm to take down the flags they had placed earlier in the day.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Steve - what a wonderful remembrance for fathers lives lived, ones still around enjoying their offspring and revelling in the lore of the land ... and lake ... a great read - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning. I see I'm the first visitor:)
    Glad you had such a lovely time with the fam. 75 fish, wow. My son would be jealous. Also glad you released the fish:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a treat to have 3 generations enjoying some fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How nice to spend a day with your daughter and her boys. I love the photo of the skimmer. I don't see enough dragonflies around here. Saw a perfectly beautiful monarch today, but didn't have my camera handy. I hope you get a break in the heat. We had rain the past two days, but sun this afternoon... and sunny and 80s is predicted for the weekend. Go gardening weather, if the heat doesn't get too intense!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story about fishing with your kids and grandchildren. One of my kids still camps in the tent so I'm happy as we did a lot of family camping.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taking kids fishing is such a wonderful activity! Your photos are awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has truly been hot. The humidity is high from the storm the other day.
    That wonderful boy scout and his grandfather. It seems that flag etiquette has been all but forgotten most places.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post! Glad those family ties are strong & strengthening! Wonderful memories & a great days fishing!
    The shady stream looked so inviting to dip your toes in - or more!
    Stunning photo of the dragonfly & butterfly!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fishing with family is the best way to do it. The visit would be even better than the fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What wonderful memories you are creating for those boys. I can't believe you threw back everything you caught that day, though. No fish fry so the boys could enjoy the fruits of their labor? :) Hope you're getting a little break from the heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be hot everywhere! Love the fishing photos - there is nothing better than spending time with those you love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That picture of the skimmer is gorgeous.
    I'd say enjoy your weekend, but I know you are:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow you all sure caught a lot of fish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Special moments and memories of a lifetime. How neat...:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nothing like fishing with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your photos. You live in such an idyllic part of the world. I like the idea of the flag flying service. People in England are so awkward with their flag patriotism and definitely don't fly the flag enough.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't like the heat either. Here in Virginia, I sometimes feel the need to fly the American flag just because some of the locals fly the Confederate flag, which strikes me as unpatriotic.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!