Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Charming Weekend









Thoughts of the statues on Easter Island




And so ends a few days introducing all my grandchildren to camping with grandpa.
My friend John recently lost his wife and decided that Hospice was so nice to he and his boys that he wanted to repay  their kindness at what he does best, food. John is head sous chef at a prestigious cooking school, and claims to be able to grill better than anyone who serves food in the Kansas City area.I would not have passed this culinary extravaganza, and since John addresses me as chef sometimes, I had to be his helper. We prepared seven cases of pork baby back ribs and seven whole beef briskets. These were served with coleslaw, potato salad, and baked beans. The dry rub was mixed and the battle began. We had to take breaks and watch the Kansas City Royals play the Chicago White Sox baseball. I cooked one shift for twelve hours centered on ribs. At noon two days in a row, the food was served to many, and John had his friends offer a donation to Hospice if they wanted. All the leftovers went over to the Hospice and were left for families and workers to enjoy as the Memorial Day holiday gently subsided.

Me hanging out waiting for guests with Chester.


In the morning following a two day feast of barbecue delights, I woke before everyone as usual. I sat drinking a cup of coffee and this tiny dove sits on the deck railing next to me. I went and grabbed a camera,as she somewhat seemed to wait. I shot twice and then sat there enjoying my morning with this tiny charmer. My father professed he always would return as a Bluejay, and that thought brought to mind that my friend could have been the lady that had once lived here. She had landscaped the yard, and spent most of her time on the deck I was sitting on. It was what seemed to keep her going in her final days. I thought of her beauty and that thought was carried along with the happiness of the weekend on  a gentle prairie breeze.

Later in the day I sat with the husband and the dove returned on the ground near us. I told him the story of having a guest for coffee and getting a few shots. I kept my previous thoughts to myself, knowing his love for his wife continued to bloom over the weekend. A second sibling slipped out of a nearby bush and both young Turtle Doves squeaked for food as a parent approached. The mother let them slip deep into her throat and she regurgitated food up for them. I laughed at my morning thoughts and also my friend, who  never liked the thought of  regurgitated anything. I offered to share my sandwich I had chewed so well, and we laughed at a sketch on an old Saturday Night Live where the family all ate like birds. 


16 comments:

  1. I love the photographs. I also enjoyed your story about John and his cooking - that was a very kind gesture. I used to serve as a volunteer @ Hospice and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to my first camping trip of the season in a few weeks. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet thing you and your friend did! And that rub looks good!
    Sweet post!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. spring wildflowers are so beautiful. I love the native columbine and tried to get it established here several years in a row but without success. though, I think I spotted a seedling coming up even though it is too late for it to bloom and it's been a couple of years since I put any in. sorry to hear of your friend's loss. Hospice are such good and wonderful people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never slept in a tent before. I always wanted to give camping a try

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was an inspiring tale about the doves. I felt so good after reading it. As for the ribs and brisket... sounds delicious. It would be nice to begin a tradition of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Charming is the perfect word for this post. I especially loved your thoughts on the dove and who's to say it's not true.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a feast made for a king. Made me hungry. I like the story about the dove and I remember the SNL skit

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely flowers, and I can almost heard the water on the rocks. Sometimes I think my mom might come back as a cardinal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Truly a heartfelt gesture by John.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed this entire post and all the photos, but the shot of the mushrooms is especially wonderful. That camping trip will live on in the memories of those grandkids. Bless you and your friend for the work you did for Hospice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Steve - wonderful charming weekend - it does sound just right - helpful for John with his loss, and for the grandchildren camping with you ... love the thought of that Hospice 'feast' - and a different exciting day for others ... raising funds and setting a tradition along the way.

    I loved sleeping outside - but we didn't do it often ... still memories of a few days with my father ... wonderful thoughtful words for Memorial Week ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Splendid photos and warm greetings!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We have a pair of doves that hang out here. I like to watch them. You made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  14. While the nature photos are of course fantastic, I especially love the story of providing food for Hospice workers. My mom was a Hospice volunteer for a while and I really appreciate the work they do.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What gorgeous photos! How nice of your friend to make that feast. And how exciting to take your kids camping.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!