Monday, May 30, 2016

Sneaking Around For That Good Shot

I was intrigued by the growth over this hole in the tree. Later I heard a chirp of a Red-bellied Woodpecker and followed the sound to the source, I discovered it was a current home with the male inside. He was staying in touch with his mate, perhaps wanting to go and get something to eat for himself, as she may have been doing. A sprinkle was falling so it was hard to point my camera for very long at the home clear up in a tree. I waited for any change and she never showed up, maybe aware of my presence on the ground, and not wanting to give away their home.


Meanwhile out at the farm.....



This is an old cemetery I have been looking for. There are no roads into it, just a path for the mowers to get in.It was started in 1856, and contains many of the family members my street was named after.
Male Red-winged Blackbird
Male Goldfinch
 
His mate
Downy Woodpecker


White-Breasted Nuthatch

18 comments:

  1. I always find myself wondering, when I see a hole in a tree, whether anything lives in there. How neat that you discovered the home of the red-bellied woodpeckers. It was worth a few droplets on the camera to get that shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a lot of very good sneaking to get the shots for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your birds are wonderful, and I like the other critters too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another good day for birds. I like to wander the old cemeteries. The istory can really be felt there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve - wonderful red-bellied woodpecker. Great other animoooools too! Your prairie has some amazing life ... and place of death in the middle of 'nowhere' - where something major happened - which earlier generations remembered ... so glad you found the cemetery and hope the stones reveal some simple evocative information ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's some home the woodpeckers have. They even have an awning over the door :)
    The second picture of the downy woodpecker made me laugh. Looks like he's saying "What are you looking at?"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to wander about and read all the different inscriptions on the tombstones in old cemeteries. Nice shot of the woodpecker "at home" - what a fun find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What Beautiful Birds!!
    The old cemetery is nice and private...
    Great shots!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos in this post. Such a lovely variety of birdlife.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what a beautiful old cemetery! I hope someone has gathered the names and posted them to findagrave. It looks as rainy in your world as it is in mine. I am waiting and waiting for the pretty blue skies to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What wonderful shots. Love looking at the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are terrific photographs - so very peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to wander around that cemetery. A favorite activity of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to wander around that cemetery. A favorite activity of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have lots of beautiful birds this time. I really like the picture of the woodpecker in its home. I love shots like that one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. very nice photo of the bird hiding

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a perfect little home for the woodpecker family.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!