Sunday, May 8, 2016

Let's Go Hunt Some Mushrooms!

The archway appeared in front of me. I wonder when I see these if I step through if it will take me to a hidden land. It did, the Land of Morel Mushrooms. These tiny denizens of the woods are really good to eat, but also a challenge to find. They can be almost next to you and you don't see them. Step through the magical arch and join me.


Jack in the Pulpit
The first one found is always the best. This is a tiny grey with a baby next to it. Others that are bigger often are gold.





A Tree Frog sang a song of love. I followed the loud chirp this tiny frog makes and shot it's picture. It wasn't until I saw it on computer that I noticed the gnarl it was sitting in looked like a rabbit.


 
This is a gold one that is much bigger than the grey.
While hunting your eye catches all fungus growing around.

I was standing next to  this tree when a Chickadee flew out of this hole right at eye level.



14 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that knot in the tree does look like a rabbit. Very cool.
    I was just reading somewhere else the other day about these mushrooms. Looks like you found quite a few

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos. I love what you wrote about the archway taking you to another land. When my girls were small and we would take a hike, we always said that a natural arch transported us to another place and time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve - what a wonderful wander around the woods with you ... dinner will be good tonight ... trout and morels ...

    Are those terrapins marching out of the water - while the tree frog is a delight, as too the gnarled hole ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tree frog in the rabbit is so cool! I love morels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always such a worthwhile visit. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos. Wandering around in the woods is so inspiring. My hubby found dozens of morels in the woods last week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have such a good time going on a nature walk with you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a good eye for the mushrooms. The hunting just makes them taste better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the blue flowers, and that archway would surely beckon any adventurous soul. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have yet to eat a morel. I remember Dad talking about them but I don't think he ever found any.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember seeing a TV show several years ago about morel mushrooms. They were hunting them in Michigan because it's supposed to be a great place for them. They were saying these mushrooms are worth pretty good money to some people. Seeing them is always interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know of a lot of people who hunt morels but I don't think they grow down here. I've never eaten one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think some are on an old tree trunk outside of my house

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my how I love them . Not very good at finding them though...:(

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!