Friday, May 27, 2016

Always Horsing Around

Riding a horse always has a charm for me. I become more content with my surroundings and enjoy the different level to observe all around me. There is a serenity just watching a group of horses for me. I enjoy giving them a nice pat or even conversing a bit with them.As  a youngster we went into a fairly large herd and jumped on for a good ride. Some were broken for riding, but most weren't. We each pre-chose our ride from what we considered prettiest. Getting a partial ride was always a good time, many stories would change on how many times the horse bucked before you became airborne. Today I prefer the most mild mannered, and it takes me a while before my land legs return.

My three favorites




Bouquets

Hoary Puccoon
Virginia Waterleaf
I see scenes like this and always think of "the Sound of Music".
This is a beautiful trail called the  Backbone Trail. It is the middle of a huge loop the river takes below it. There are steep sides on both sides formed out of limestone and a rocky soil.



This is something you don't always see back on a trail. There were two, they took all the kids on a steep trail over the side to a river below.One of the Amish mom's left her starched black bonnet on the handle. I had seen them when I was down below earlier before I ascended this trail.


Milk Vetch

Taking a nap
There were three buggies for the big family visiting this state park. One didn't have a top in the right foreground.A slight sprinkle was falling, so it could be a damp ride home.

14 comments:

  1. I have ridden a lot of horses in my time but I have never jumped on a random one in a pasture. You were brave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I'm a horse lover, so there was a lot of "eye candy" for me in this post. :) The Amish in our area all drive open buggies. They carry a waterproof tarp to cover the buggy's interior while parked during inclement weather. In cold weather, the tarp can be pulled up to the chins of the occupants to provide a little bit of shelter from the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve - how lovely to see the horses, the buggies ... to know the Amish families were off for a nature walk ... and the flowers and scenery ... bliss - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love horses too. One of my "bucket list" things is to ride horses when I travel. So far, I have fulfilled this bucket list item on Cozumel, through the Mexican Jungle, with lizards darting back and forth across the field (as squirrels do here!) Of course, I've ridden them closer to home, but that is a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandfather loved horses and instilled love in his offspring. He was partial to quarter horses. I sort of lean more to bigger stronger looking horses. The glimpse of the Amish was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have many Amish in our area, but I have never known a woman to remove her bonnet like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a long time since I've been on a horse. My uncle had horses when I was young and as a teen I had a friend who had them

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amish ways of communal living always intrigue me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never ridden a horse. I'd like to but being from the city I'm not sure I'd ever have the guts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I rode horses now and then as a kid and a friend actually had one she kept at a stable but I was never horse crazy as so many young girls are or were. this was before Houston got so big. I did get thrown at least once.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love horses! Aren't they beauties? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wonder if horses can tell the difference between the Amish and normal folks

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss riding. Growing up I was always on the back of a horse. There is just too much snow to have one here. I enjoyed our walk.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved riding when I was a kid...and the Amish shots are too cool!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!