Monday, March 21, 2016

Spring Has Sprung



Well, at least a few of us have decided it is spring. Snow came to many of us just to remind us that winter isn't far away. Here in Iowa we always wait until the Girls State basketball tournament is over this next week. In the middle 50's a snow storm trapped over 12,000 people at the auditorium where it was being held, holding all hostage until city crews could get the streets cleared for them to leave for two days. It is time to get the warm weather toys out and get ready to play. 


Thousands of Snow Geese land on a small pond.


Light breaks as I arrive to fish for some trout
The fog got thicker for a bit




It was so foggy when I arrived at the pond I couldn't see across.I got my poles in the water, each with a half of a worm and waited. Watching the lines, one barely moved in toward me and then back out. It didn't even jiggle the tip. I held it up higher and waited. When the line came in again I reeled in a little slack and held steady. Soon the line shot across the lake and bent my pole. The first fish is always the best. I sat and waited for more snapping pictures as the sun barely melted away the fog. In a couple of hours I had my limit and was ready to head home for a healthy lunch.

10 comments:

  1. I like the spring barn quilt! And you got some beautiful shots at your fishing site. Nice way to spend the first day of Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum fish dinner.
    Spring is showing a mixed bag of emotions here today. So far this morning we've had sun, snow, and now big black clouds

    ReplyDelete
  3. the kildee came back to the shop yard but now with the dog, they didn't stay. I saw no geese this year in the skies. it was such a mild winter, I wonder if they even made it this far south.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve - snowed in at the basketball stadium for two days - how very uncomfortable ... fascinating to read about though!

    Your trout look very inviting ... I must get a fresh trout sometime ... love the photo shoots ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice fish! Is that two killdeer in the first bird picture?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some fishermen are completely obsessed. Great story on the first day of fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't count your springs before they bounce. I ust got a winter weather warning for Wednesday on my computer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely catch. I miss hearing the killdeer and watching those fuzzy little chicks on stilts. Thanks for sharing. You are living my dream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a healthy catch. Must have been great fun pulling them. Glad to see the ice has melted.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!