Friday, March 11, 2016

On The Road

This guy has been busy

I couldn't believe how long this hawk posed for me.

Only a few of the eagles will stay, most flying farther north. A few have already built nests and have laid eggs. Almost every county in Iowa has them nesting. I enjoy when I find a new one, they  are usually well away from the beaten path. They can weigh up  to a ton, so are very large. 
White Pelican




An old schoolhouse still echoes the voices of children. Gone are a see saw, maybe a bell to bring them into the school. At one time it addressed all the grades needed. The walls were formed with local stone, used in many homes around. 

The Duke


I spent one morning exploring this tiny town, walking into each store on the town square. The museum had a steady influx of people wanting to see all they could. I saved that for another day, having found an excellent bakery where I got a coconut cream pie filled doughnut. It was fun to go through a Ben Franklin store, where in my youth  had a toy area divided on a large table by prices.This one didn't have that, nor slingshots for a dime or pea shooters for a nickel. Candy wasn't a penny either, but I would love to try some. They did have a little of everything one might need. The soda fountain was packed with locals coming in for breakfast. I came out with a few small gifts to share with my stories with friends and family.

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know there were any Ben Franklin store left. I like that school house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve - lovely wildlife ... weighing a ton?! That's incredible ... the town of Winterset looks to continue to draw people to visit. What a 'day out' you had .. and I'm glad you went home with some souvenirs for your friends and family ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad five and dimes are gone. they were fun places to poke around in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great shots there. I have spotted the hawks in my woods, and I do hope the owls come back. My neighbors down the road have spotted the eagles...got my binoculars at the ready! Aloha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen a Ben Franklin Store in years! I would love to have lunch at the counter. Ah, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. On the road certainly gives you some great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful shots of the hawk! It was interesting to see the old schoolhouse. There are still many existing in our area, too; but they are almost all constructed of red brick. The John Wayne museum would be an interesting stop. We might have to consider that on our next trip west.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember the five and dime (Ben Franklin and the other one TG & Y) with a smile always. I loved to spend my pennies there as a youth, had soda drinks and a plate of fries for 50 cents when I was in high school, and then WM took over and ruined it all.
    Love the eagle pic...I still wait for the day I can see one and photograph it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We used to have a Ben Franklin near here but it went out a long time ago. I used to love that store

    ReplyDelete
  10. We still have a Ben Franklin in town, but it doesn't have a soda fountain. I enjoyed seeing the quilt Barns!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!