Thursday, March 3, 2016

Morning Breeze


Hard to hold a camera with such strong winds. It was shaking my van while watching ducks landing on a small lake. 


 




A few warm days melted snow too quickly and sent streams and rivers over their banks. Just as quickly  as they rose, they went back to their former levels, but left a muddy mess for hiking.I have jumped over this stream in warmer months just below where this picture was taken. One can never forecast the power water can have when it rises. In 2008 the firemen came door to door and told us to leave, placing me in a motel for two weeks. I had a variety of junk in my yard, fish and debris from the fields. This gave me inspiration to move to higher ground, I never wanted to go through this again. Now I look at placing a small cabin back near a stream, but above any flood levels. I love being near the water.
This is the stream above finding it's way into nearby fields.


What is left of a frozen waterfall

When one steps in the wrong place while wading through a flooded trail, it can go over your boot. This is a good reason to blouse ones pants and keep the string of your boots tight. I was amazed how fast I moved backwards and onto higher land. The week before a photographer had went through the ice and I received many Facebook messages making sure it wasn't me.

11 comments:

  1. There is some beautiful light in these photographs. A gradual thaw in the spring is easier, isn't it? But... we are never in charge of the weather. I like your plan for a cabin, near the stream, but on higher ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture of the barn is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your spring came too rapidly. Spring should take it's time so most of the water soaks into the soil. Great sunrise shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wonderful photos. I enjoyed the view without feeling the chill of the wind

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pastel pink in the sky in the 9th photo. And, of course, I always love seeing the eagles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flooded areas are so interesting to see, even though most people don't want to have to deal with them. I've been watching the river around here very closely. No flooding yet, I'm glad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had three bad floods last year that before then only happened like once a century. I know several people's homes were flooded out and the mud and muck and trash (especially limbs and such from trees and plants) were an awful sight to see. I'm glad you moved- but I also know the love of being on a river. I hope you find a place high enough, but near enough also.

    ReplyDelete
  8. water is a powerful force. I wish I had some riverfront property or a live creek or a lake or even a pond!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful scenes but that Baldie steals my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always enjoy your hikes. It looks you have a while before it greens up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Steve - I saw a hawk at car level coming back on the Motorway - no way could I stop and take a photo .. I'd have loved to ... but lovely shots of your world .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!