Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Birds Of A Feather

Northern Cardinal
The Cardinals are still forming large groups, hoping to pair off in a few weeks. From what seems like a party will soon be a territorial fight. Their call will change and friendships tossed to the side. I listened yesterday to see if that was who was calling in the distance, but soon decided it was a Robin. It is amazing to see over a dozen red bodied souls, all in the same group. The females are less obvious until one looks a little harder. It always take a while to see all around you, even with bigger birds. I like the stillness today, as winds ply my resistance to a bitter cold. It is nice to be in a blind for a bit, but I am still very cold. The finger I use to push to take pictures numbs out first. A thermos of cocoa or coffee would be nice. I left mine hanging over a bench out on a shoot, and need to get a new one unless you found it for me. It was quickly forgotten when a small flock of Trumpeter Swans flew over me. I raced to get closer to them and soon was distracted by all the beauty around me. Such is the good life, out on the prairie.



Downy Woodpecker

Eastern Goldfinches and Downy Woodpecker
Blue-jay

White-breasted Nuthatch
Red-bellied Woodpecker




Black-capped Chickadee

11 comments:

  1. You know how to find all the color! The cardinals look like red confetti. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful shots of the birds. I woke up to the call of a male cardinal looking for a mate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you have warmed up by now. It is very windy here today too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Flock together." Quite nicely...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the birds and even the random squirrel that snuck in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cardinals look to be putting on their most brilliant colors as mating season approaches,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Steve - they are all amazing photos .. love the Downy woodpecker .. and it's cold - looks it! I hope a new thermos will be forthcoming soon .. frozen fingers aren't nice ... I sliced a thumb years ago - and that gets 'chilly' very quickly ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh! The black & white one is gorgeous!
    Sorry about the thermos!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Steve. I love all the birds, and even the chubby squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful birds! We have all of these in Virginia too. Last night I had a nightmare about squirrels -- one bit me and we tried to catch him but then saw a big one watching us, big as a groundhog! I know it sounds silly but it was kind of a scary dream.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!