Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Are We There Yet?

This pattern on the river mud was made with the gradual melting of the snow that sat there all winter. Spring seems just around the corner. I was awakened  this morning to a nice rain storm. I lay there reading and listening for quite some time. I enjoy this moment, and thought of listening in my tent instead. It is going to repeat this performance later in the week, but may change to snow. That makes it cold to be in a tent, so I will delay going camping until after this happens. It is to be expected, Iowa is famous for the up and down weather in the spring. I think as a young boy, the March winds arrived and we raced to go and get a new kite to fly. Often your hands became so numb it was hard to reel the string in once you had it out as far as your ball of twine would allow. I can still hear my mothers voice telling me to hurry up since dinner was ready, and she always wanted the whole family to be there for a hot meal. If there were any extra kids, she often said she could just throw another potato in the pot and they would be welcome. We had a large family, but sharing was a big thing with neighbors and friends.
The beach carved from snow slowly melting along the river bank.



Henry feels these cats need to remain together as his ducks do, so kept stacking them up when they separated. I tried to tell him to pick them up better, but the cats seem to understand.  He will learn and  they don't get too alarmed.


Pelicans 









Soggy ground let this train push the rails deep into the ground, bending the rail like it was rubber. This set of wheels came off the track. 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Steve - amazing mud-flow beach area. Wonderful animals keeping warm .. and Henry getting organising and administering ... a brilliant learning process for youngsters. Then the sinking train - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henry is soooper cute child ,i just loved these pics they reminded me my life spent with parents in village lots among lots of hens eggs farming and warm loving environment of family ,your mom seems similar to my mo who wanted all family together for hot meal at once

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pictures that tell a story on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That poor black cat looked upset. The train pushing the rails down is a sight. I didn't know this could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good that the cats are patient while Henry hones his cat carrying skills :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You show lots of spring sign. Henry is pretty good as it looks like he can herd cats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Henry is blessed to be able to enjoy this kind of life. He'll grow up loving camping and the prairie just as much as his grandpa does.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some NICE, gentle kitties. What a blast to be a kid on a farm (I think I still am one! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute little kitten wrangler:)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!