Wednesday, February 10, 2016

It's Snowing Even More

Chestnut hull
Today the snow was blowing horizontally. The winds were relentless blowing hard for over fifteen hours through the previous night. It hasn't ended and reminds me that we still are in winter season and spring needs to wait until winter has given up being extremely cold. Sometimes the temperature sounds pleasant, but the winds make it unbearable outdoors. I keep an arsenal of extra clothes in my vehicle, just to be on the safe side. I would hate to travel out somewhere nice and not be able to stay. The sun hasn't been showing it's face much, it has became a commodity all season. The weatherman just came on and told us to be prepared for howling winds all through the night again. They have shut down a portion of the north/south interstate, to get people off the roads. Time is coming to a halt, as winter charms us with another night of cold.





Pelican feast



I counted 71 pelicans this day as well as 42 eagles. This is below Lake Red Rock, Iowa's largest lake, and a favorite destination for me to camp, fish and eat the best pastries at the two Dutch bakeries in Pella. This is where I began birding in 1969, and always a good place to be. 






7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I can't believe all of the eagles. When I see one flying.... every few months... I feel blessed. 42? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steve - don't fancy your cold, or freeze-ridden winds! Happy hunkering down to get through .. incredible number of birds ... stunning view - but it does look cold! The sun is here - but it's a little nippy out - nothing like yours ... cheers to get you through - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have had a much harder winter than we have this year. It's hard to believe we live in the same state.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With these two species in the area there must be a huge population of fish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow, that's a lot of pelicans and eagles. We've got the cold temperatures here too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow look at so many eagles! I like the cattails too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! So many pelicans and eagles! What a sight to see.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!