Thursday, September 24, 2015

Jumping Around


Leopard Frog
Green Frog
 Amazingly Leopard Frogs can stay out of the water for fairly lengthy times. I have been waiting for a shot out on the prairie, and had one jump into my lap. They have a good jump and can easily go three to five meters in a hop. One year I worked with a National Geographic crew catching them for action shots. They took movies of them jumping in front of a blue screen, and later would add a background to the stills they chose from the movies. I never got to see the finished product, but took some good teasing from others at the biological station we were working out of. I had barely started and was in my third day, when I came upon a group taking a family picture on a bike trail. I said I could take it for them so all could get in, that I was working with photography at the lab. They immediately knew what I  was doing and said, "Oh, you are with the National Geographic crew!" I laughed knowing how information travels in a small community since this was the first local group I had met. Wednesdays each week the station did a program that many attended, and they  had enjoyed many of  these programs. I was a celebrity for a few minutes, but faded into obscurity very fast. This biological station was started in 1909, so had a lot of  people prominent in their respective fields. This also was a cumulative school sponsored by all the state universities. We worked with prairie and wetland projects all summer, students from all areas joined in taking the experience as a class. My prominence faded away, the memories were carried on a gentle prairie breeze for all to enjoy.




Monarch on a Common Milkweed seedpod



Great Blue Lobelia

Black Swallowtail

10 comments:

  1. I bet you were surprised when one jumped in your lap! Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat looking frog that is. You sure have done some interesting things over the years

    ReplyDelete
  3. never seen a leopard frog, very handsome fellow. and what Ann said, you have lead a very interesting life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Steve - love the Leopard frog .. he does look like one. It must have a wonderful experience being with the NG crew .. and your love of nature shines through. The black swallowtail is good to see ... interesting ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Ann, I was happy to learn more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great frog story. we have very few frogs left here. I din't hear any singing this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you were looking for a good game of leap frog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting about the leopard frog and your experiences with National Geographic. I can't find many dragonflies anymore, except for an occasional widow skimmer or eastern amber wing. But there are very few even of those. As always, I love your Monarchs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots, and what an honor and how fun to work with National Geographic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A wonderful collection as always, Steve. How cool that one jumped in your lap... and interesting to hear of your celebrity days. :)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!