Monday, August 10, 2015

Pretty In Purple

Showy Tick Trefoil

Ironweed
Oh Mister Bluebird, it seems you are frowning at me.


Immature Bald Eagle
Turkey Vultures

Wild Turkey



Belted Kingfisher

The warm day drifted across the prairie kissing all of the flowers everywhere. It provides a lot of chances for growth with both wild flowers, but has also graced my garden with huge tomatoes and lots of peppers. I start both from seed so I can have some unique varieties to enjoy. Many come over just to enjoy my extras and admire the flowers and everything else I have planted. I have eight varieties of tomatoes and fifteen varieties of peppers. Lots of potatoes are nearing their time to be dug, bordered by okra and lots of herbs. Today I had help turning the crank on my Victoro strainer and made over  a gallon of tomato juice. I will pick and roast peppers next packing them in olive oil. I laughed having forgot a lot of apples  I put away last year. I need to fix some as a side dish and perhaps a pie. Come on over and help me fix something sweet with these. Fried pies come to mind, but with the heat it is hard to turn on my oven or stove for very long. The best coffee will be ready and good conversation to all who want to join in.

10 comments:

  1. A great set of images, Steve. We saw a family of turkeys recently and counted about a dozen little ones. Maybe it was a "blended" family. :) Love the purple flowers and all the birds and deer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. we'll have at least another four to six weeks of summer. almost time to start the fall garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long do the peppers last prepped like that? Sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For tomatoes, I'll be roight over. I really like tomatoes from the garden. there should be a law against selling the commercial tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm coming over for tomatoes :) We only planted three plants and so far there are only 2 tiny green tomatoes on them. Last year our plants were loaded.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For your apples try heating apple pie filling in a skillet over a slow heat just until the apples are firm but hot. There should be quite a bit of the syrupy part too. Then serve over ice cream. You get the feeling of apple pie without the heat of the oven and the ice cream is cool and refreshing on a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoyed all your wildflower photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apple pie sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all your different varities.... how neat. BUT I've retired from weeding a huge garden....:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roasted peppers are wonderful and nothing better than putting in olive oil, even if I have never done them myself. I was wondering how long the tomato juice would keep or if it was for consumption ASAP. And for the apples, I think that Emma's suggestion was a great one..much less work than baking a pie too

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!