Thursday, August 27, 2015

A Beautiful Day

The trill of a Indigo Bunting blends with songs of crickets and locusts, creating a symphony out on the prairie. I sat in a folding chair just watching and listening to everything around me. I wanted to grab my camera and run, but today had chosen to watch and enjoy everyone around me. The heat had broke away for a few days, and I had started the day with long pants and a long sleeve shirt. The sun warmed me up with a strong breeze blowing into my face. The sweet scent of a large patch of Goldenrod arrived and caught my interest. I got up and walked over toward it just in time to see a Goldfinch picking over some Bull Thistle blossoms. Of all the time not to have my camera, we shared the moment from less than six feet apart. I laughed as little dogs joined me to watch whatever I was watching, and it flew away. I thought about moving my chair over to watch more, but decided to save it for another day. My happiness spread across the land, carried on a prairie breeze.

On the town square in Fairfield, IA.

Monarch Caterpillar


Goldenrod




A touch of fall

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures as usual. I love seeing the Indigo Bunting. I saw one myself several years ago now. It's the only one. I've never seen a Monarch caterpillar. It reminds me of just where I should be looking. I need to visit that place soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful group of pics. I've been places without my camera, but not too often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should sit still and quiet more often. It's surprising what comes by us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see the monarch. A hopeful sign.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The dragonfly is beautiful. Those creatures fascinate me. Lovely pictures all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The dragonfly is beautiful. Those creatures fascinate me. Lovely pictures all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you've proven that entertainment doesn't have to cost money.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi OOTP - I love the way you encourage us all to just sit and imbibe our surroundings ... nature has a way with its life - it's quite wonderful and so variable. Love the indigo bunting .. and all the flowers, insects, caterpillar - he's fat!

    Fall is a-coming .. we've had a lot of rain recently and today I'm pleased to say the sun is shining and warming things up a little ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a relaxing moment. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Indigo Bunting would have been enough to make this post special, but I enjoyed all your finds today. Great dragonfly shots, wildflowers, and the touch of fall.

    ReplyDelete
  11. End of week and time for me to catch up on what been happening Out on the Prairie with Steve :-) While I enjoy cycling can't imagine doing the long distance rides and carrying along all the gear shown in a previous post. Good think the semis help out!
    Fall is not ready to arrive here in NH as 90s forecast for next week :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. we've had a small reprieve from the heat as well...low humidity and temps in the low 90s. it'sw all relative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you are feeling better. I so love your walks. The dragonfly is my totem. I flit from thing to thing, never spending a large amount of time on one project, but I always come back to it.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!