Friday, July 10, 2015

Out and Around

Woodland Nettles

Prairie Roses

This Amberwing is so hard to get a good shot on since it is so small and hard to focus on. It is the smallest of dragonflies. This shot amazed me when I got home.
Eastern Kingbird fledges were flying and trying out a few bugs their parents enticed them with. It was fun to watch the hunting lessons even though the fledges were still spoiled from parental feedings.


Grey-headed Coneflower will soon cover the prairie
Slaty Skimmer
Indigo Buntings always excite me with their blue color and cheerful song.


Eastern Kingbird
Female Baltimore Oriole
Did I buy too many? They were 99 cents a pint and I like to freeze them for the following year. Being a very good fruit for you I enjoy using them in a variety of treats. Frozen, they add a nice touch to a smoothie, or just as a tasty snack. A neighbor was very severe diabetic and I would freeze some for her to eat like candy. It was hard to find sweets she could metabolize. I checked her blood twice a day and filled her insulin syringes for nine years. She had been a cook so I liked to share foods with her.  I still grow beefsteak tomatoes in my garden always thinking of how she would marvel at their size. The biggest was always hers.
 More daylilies bloom out in my garden. Only three petals are real where the other three are a type of leaf like your poinsettia's. You can see the margins on the edge of the petals of the yellow one.
Amazing as it sounds, I have posted 700 posts on this blog in a little over five years.

9 comments:

  1. I didn't know you could freeze blueberries! My diabetic husband loves them, and I try to buy every week when I can find them. Nice series today, and oh how I wish I could see an indigo up close and personal! LOL! Have a super weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the mushroom. No you did not get too many. Blueberries freeze well and are so healthy. Plus they go well with all kinds of food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy smokes. only 99 cents a pint for blueberries. I would have bought a bunch too

    ReplyDelete
  4. haven't seen the indigo bunting here thought my mother used to see them on Galveston Island. and you can never buy too many blueberries as long as you get them eaten or dealt with before they go bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on 700 posts. In my mind they are are very well worth posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The amber wing is just a sweet and perfect thing! I am not sure if we have those here but I love to see dragonflies. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well all I can say is that number 700 is outstanding. The amber wing is gorgeous. I eat all sorts of frozen fruits as snacks. Berries are the best. And I learned something new about the daylilies. A complete experience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like that colorful fungus growing on the tree. You did manage a great shot of the amberwing. I don't believe I've ever seen a slaty skimmer before. Good capture on that one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frozen blueberries sounds like a wonderful idea. I've been looking for a way to save fruit like that a little longer. I usually eat fruit or carrots as a snack, but I didn't think of freezing blueberries for some reason. I don't know why, it's so obvious.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!