Saturday, July 18, 2015

Golden Wonders

St. John's Wort

Fragrant Coneflower
Baby Brown Thrasher
Moses
A Black Swallowtail flitted among the Monarda, sipping it's golden nectar. It was an early arrival, many are coming soon, but very few are being seen. A challenge was issued by a county conservationist for me to find Monarch Butterflies. He hadn't seen any during the previous week, their habitat being destroyed where they winter. As a child I could catch a dozen in minutes in the field behind my boyhood home. I have tagged them for the last two decades as part of a study with the University of Kansas. When we first started 100 stickers would go fast in a day or two. Last year we worked two weeks to find 50.  As you know I love to  be around these flying flowers. Their colors amaze me each time I see one, and often I run along with them to get a good picture.  I hope to see the populations return in my lifetime, as I have persevered for decades with restoring prairie land  all around me. A cool prairie breeze touches my cheek, thanking me for kind thoughts and actions.
 
Monarch


Those babies are getting big.
It is too hot to pose for you


A cloud of newly hatched Bullheads moves around a pond.

Male Widow Skimmer

15 comments:

  1. St. John's Wort is really pretty. Cute little bunny there. Even if it is too hot to pose, everything there looks like it's thriving

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen newly hatched bullheads. I liked the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw just one monarch in my afternoon walk. Saw a few caterpillars and nibbled milk weed within the last few weeks. Always leave milkweed undisturbed when I find it. Like you, I ran through clouds of these beauties as a child. Now, they are a rare sighting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen St. John's Wort - pretty blooms. I love butterflies - dashed out the door to try to snap one the other day (saw him through the window in my Plumbago), but he fluttered away before I could. Gorgeous shot of the Monarch :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And milkweed in the ditches is getting harder and harder to find which doen't help the Monarchs either....:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. We need more people like you who will put in effort to restore habitat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love seeing pictures of monarchs, but I've never seen one myself, at least when I started taking pictures. I usually look for them where they can be found, and I see lots of butterflies there, but no monarchs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like coneflowers. Pretty pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So impressed to learn you are helping to restore the natural habitat around you. We need lots of that. And thanks for all the wonderful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've got some wonderful shots here, Steve. The St. Johns Wort is gorgeous. Great detail there. We haven't seen too many Monarchs around here, either. Always a treat when we do.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Crowd of bullheads was quite interesting to see, Steve. But the baby bunny was my favorite along with the cheerful yellow blooms. I have yetbto see a monarch even when we spent 12 days on the VA eastern shore recently.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a wonderful collection of pictures. They all look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting pictures! I especially like Moses and the bunny.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!