Thursday, June 4, 2015

Lots Of New Arrivals

Golden Alexander
Pale Beardtongue



Lots of Spiderwort has made a purple prairie.
Concerned new parents


Western Yarrow



A tiny warbler known as a Common Yellowthroat. I searched for three days to get a good shot. Sorry little guy, but I don't give up easy. I wait each year for it's arrival, and love to watch it.
A ever changing scene, the prairie calls to me to visit each day and see what has changed and listen to it's song. I stood near a tiny wetland and listened to all the wildlife around me. Soon a toad called with a voice like plucking a rubber band that was barely stretched. A reply came from across the area and they sang a simple song to each other. The gentle song of a catbird sang to a metallic two note reply as it's mate flew farther away. With each set of sounds, came the two note reply fading into the distance. Soon you only heard the single catbird until it flew off to  catch up. A melodic song of a Red-headed Woodpecker took over and shouted out of a new family getting started out on the prairie. Perhaps the first fledges of this family I watched a few weeks ago, will stick around to watch their parents tend to another batch of eggs. I noticed three Bluebird fledges waiting with their father in a small tree yesterday, waiting for a meal to be caught for the new brood. It is these sights and sounds, the sharing and caring,  that forms a song of life, traveling along the prairie winds for all to hear from centuries past.

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a gorgeous day. Love the big red barn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those little warblers are challenging to photograph, but your persistence paid off in this instance. The yarrow looks a lot like Queen Anne's lace, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice prairie tour! Some things were familiar, but a few of those prairie flowers do not grow here in the northern Great Lakes. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty amazing how new life can lift the spririts from a long winter. Happy to see the color coming back into your world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful prairie post, Steve. My prairie highlight so far this year was my 2nd ever white ladyslipper....:) And no I didn't have my camera...:(

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your comments on sound. I wonder how much better the critter's hearing is than ours?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Things are looking good on the prairie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Steve - love the name Pale Beardtongue, while the blue of the Spiderwort must make a stunning show .. I know I always love our blue fields here - the blue of linseed ... is gorgeous.

    But your last sentence stands out:

    "It is these sights and sounds, the sharing and caring, that forms a song of life, traveling along the prairie winds for all to hear from centuries past." ... so many paths will be here 'forever' while most things around us will be gone in a blink of a time period ...

    I hope that knee is completely recovering ... Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. spring is so wonderful wildflowers are some of my favorites. and birds. watching a male cardinal tend to his two juveniles feeding them from the teacup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wish I was with you. What a lovely walk. The bird photos are excellent. Thanks for the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Warblers can be challenging as far as a good photo, Steve, and I have never taken a photo of one so can appreciate the time you soent. It is wonderful to see the new blooms and your descriptions help us "see" the beauty as well. Hope you are getting about easier these days😊

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!