Saturday, June 6, 2015

Blackbird Sing A Little Song For Me


A hummingbird flew past sharing the latest buzz. I walked carefully trying to get close to a blackbird nest, but the mother had other ideas. She moved around trying to get me to follow clear away from her children. They lay their nest on the ground in good cover, so it is always hard to find. New growth also hides the thorns of blackberries and roses, making tiny scratches everywhere. I looked until I felt I would never find it. She had foiled my attempt thoroughly, so I apologized and looked for a good route to get out to my car. Soon she was back singing where I had first noticed her.
Female and male Red-winged Blackbirds

Someone has tasted this unripe Beach plum



Purple Coneflower

New life emerging
Yellow Clover


7 comments:

  1. A nest on the ground doesn't sound very safe but then again the one in my tree wasn't

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great set of photos, Steve. Love all the birds, especially the bluebird. I almost missed seeing the dragonfly in the "emerging life" image. I've never seen one quite like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great photos. Were you riding the mules?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would never get tired of listening to the black birds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your prairie! And thanks for identifying the kind of plum tree in my backyard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have the Red Winged blackbird here in Central Texas...They haven't always been here though. Showed up in our back yard about 7 or 8 yrs ago.
    So pretty!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice shots, especially that last one!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!