Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Cabin Fever

Great Blue Heron
I watched Columbine growing by the doorstep hoping to see a butterfly. Rain and cold has kept some of these visitors  in better weather. I have seen a number of species and saw my first Monarch Butterfly last Sunday. It was like seeing royalty with this rapidly diminished species.
 
I went for two days to this huge Blackberry patch to watch for butterflies. Above is my first Monarch and below a Giant Swallowtail. The scent of all the flowers was real nice also.
 


Dame's Rocket is similar to phlox only it has four petals instead of five.

Blue Jay
Spiderwort
Someone took a taste it appears.




The fungus appears to run off the top of the stump and flow across the forest floor.
Blackberry
It is easy to see how this plant was named Spiderwort
I liked the symmetry of this huge oak

10 comments:

  1. Lovely photos as always. The butterflies are awesome, aren't they? But all the beautiful wildflowers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are my second blog I've read today with columbine! I think I need to plant some now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word! It's SO beautiful there!!!hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. the fungus on that stump is very interesting. Pretty butterflies and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen a few blues but that's it as far as butterflies are concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of the butterfly shots are great, but I especially liked the sharpness of the monarch. Royalty, yes! Very interesting fungus shot. And I agree with you about the beautiful oak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A little of this & little of that all very nice. I plant milkweed s0 sad about the monarchs....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for showing all the purple blooms, Steve, as it's my favorite color! We most likely won't see as many butterflies this year as it's hard living in a mill apt with not many flowers planted outside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Steve ... I hope you're healing up properly - I've been gathering my thoughts in overwhelmed land this end of the pond! Lovely photos of your butterflies and those gorgeous birds ... and the plants ... just love wildlife ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!