Thursday, April 9, 2015

Woodland Blooms

The newest addition to the farm. These are white when mature and the start  of a flock if large dogs named Bruce will leave them alone. He just wants to play it seems.
Rolling hillsides along a meandering stream were a real challenge to hike. My knees want to say no, but all the new beauty drew me in and I couldn't resist  wanting to see all I could. These blooms tell me that my favorite woodland treat, Morel Mushrooms, are not that far away. In another few weeks they will come out and tease me into looking for them days on end. The mushroom fever started a few months ago so it is nice to be getting closer. It is an ageless fantasy to always want to find that large amount of hidden gold. If you have never hunted them I can tell you it is a tough hobby, but in the end a delightful treat for many. One year I shared with a friend in retirement apartments and fed all sixty residents. Last year I barely shared, not finding very many, so it has it's ups and downs. The other downfall is I am very allergic to poison ivy, so usually stop when I get that also. It is a last foray into the deep woods before they grow so dense you can't get through them.

Bloodroot
Dutchman's Breeches

Spring Beauty



Eastern Towhee, a new arrival in the forest.




14 comments:

  1. some sweet little flowers. I have never seen or eaten morel mushrooms but I know of them through others like you. I did read something yesterday that said 'they' expect this to be a big year for morels. nice looking bird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great signs of Spring. Thanks for sharing the hike. Hope your mushroom quest is a success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Towhee and woodsy spring ephemerals. I'm absolutely no good at regularly finding morels but I've talked a few pros into trading with me for a few trout.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi OOTP - love the Dutchman's Breeches .. and those birds .. quite delightful. Foraging is up to nature isn't it .. but how lovely you shared your bounty of Morels ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. The titmouse was the first for me to see in our area this winter. It would be nice to see the towhee but I can't even see bluebirds in town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't trust Lucy one minute with those little ducks. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got all kinds of spring blooms. The mushrooms would be a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FANTASTIC photos! Wow. Beautiful photography. You've captured the wildlife so wonderfully. I can't wait to see more...
    Michele at Angels Bark

    ReplyDelete
  9. What cute ducks! Be a good dog Bruce. Just say no to roast duck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love Towhees --but haven't ever seen one here.. I've seen them in other places, but not sure they are in our area.. (Or maybe they just don't visit me!!!!!! ha).... I do love their 'call'...

    One reason we love to hike in winter is to not worry about poison ivy or snakes!!!!!! This time of year, we start looking for BOTH.... ha

    Spring is wonderful... Love your spring flowers...

    Take care of those knees.. Do you wear a brace?

    Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos of the Towhee. I had one go through here one spring long ago. Glad you could find some blooms. We have a while here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw a TV show once that said Michigan is an excellent place to hunt for morel mushrooms.They said people come from all over the country to get morel mushrooms in Michigan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have Dutchman's Breeches I am so jealous! You really have SPRING!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!