Thursday, March 5, 2015

Lion or Lamb

An immature Bald Eagle


Defying gravity this Burr Oak branch runs low close to the ground.

Tiny hopping tracks

Lots of activity under the snow




A  female Common Merganser swims up stream with a tasty fish in it's beak. The wind whips through like a knife, cutting through the layers of clothing without any problem. I think I would describe the beginning of the month as a lion, but I think many who experienced the last week of subzero weather saw this as being tropical. It always is  colder next to the water. Going on large lakes I always figure ten degrees in difference and never am without an extra coat or shirt even in the summer. I think of those outside all the time and wonder how they contend with the bitter cold. I head for my coffee and am thankful to have that warm brew to  keep me going.
 

It will be interesting to hear where this tagged Trumpeter Swan began its life in Iowa. A friend recently found one that was within  a hundred fifty miles  of where it was released eight years previous, so it is nice they return to our state. I have never sent in the info sheet before, so look forward to knowing more about this royal bird. I have been around for release of falcons and osprey, but never for the cyngets of these beauties. The cold has pushed them into a tighter area and it was hard to leave after being serenaded by a symphony of geese and swans. I could go every day just to hear and watch them.

18 comments:

  1. I've missed viewing your blog but have been so busy that "something had to go".
    I've managed to post a Skywatch every week but haven't been around to visit other blogs. Love your deer and swans. We have a lake nearby that has some swans-you are right, they are such fun to watch. Have a good weekend. Mickie ):

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, they band their neck? Our swans are back again this year. And the group has doubled in size! They are so pretty! My mom sent me an article from Indiana about a Canadian goose that was banded in 1994!!!! So interesting to follow banded or tagged animals.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many great shots. Love the eagle and bunny tracks. By the looks of tracks around here, we're going to have lots of them this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all looks pretty lion like to me. You have some serious ice and wind. However, the lamb is on it's way. We have mild weather and it's got to Minnesota so you're next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the photo of the thin ice. That always fascinated me as normally ice was so thick you never saw an end to it. I especially loved the exceedingly thin ice that can form overnight over a footprint in the mud. Do you know what I'm talking about? A very thin layer. Crunches under foot.

    Winter is lingering much too long. Love the pictures of the dogs poking around in the snow also.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi OOTP - looks like the Lion where you are .. it's cold here - but feels like Spring is definitely on its way with warmer temperatures. How fascinating to learn where the swan was released - let us know ... I'm sure you will ...

    Wonderful shots ... I just couldn't take the cold! I'm a wimp .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think our March lion is about to turn into a lamb next week. The sights in your pictures are great. I'd love to visit a place like that. I wish more of that was around here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness! I'd want to know about the swan as well!
    Beautiful shots!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. some really great photos as usual. love the dried seed pods and the broken ice. I don't think I've ever seen a swan in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those trumpeters are truly royal magnificent. We had a pair last winter stay in a partially open pond not a block from our house for about a week...:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. The swans are so awesome. All lion here lately.

    ReplyDelete
  12. it came in like a lion here too. I didn't see any nice sights like you did though

    ReplyDelete
  13. My vote would be for a lion, Steve, especially after the wild weather that has struck so many states this week. Luckily, we actually avoided getting more snow here in Nashua, NH.

    ReplyDelete
  14. WELL--after yet another ice storm here (yesterday)---I am ready for Spring and warmer temps... AND--I think we are going to get them next week. The forecast looks GREAT... Yeah!!!!!

    Love your pictures --and hope you are staying warm.... We never see rabbits --but after a recent snow, we saw tracks in our yard....

    Love the swans.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such wonderful photos,

    Grethe ´)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the swans. We have them where I am too. Once in a while I also see a Tundra Swan.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How cool to see a hooded merganser. I wish we had them here, as well as, geese and swans. I do have plenty of curious deer. Sorry to hear it is still cold there. Hopefully the lamb will come soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love swans. They are such beautiful creatures. I was awestruck by your picture of so many all together. I always enjoy your photographs.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!