Monday, March 9, 2015

Down At The Lake






Sixty three Trumpeter Swans today. Obviously another small flock joined in on  the fun. The snow is melting and ice slowly opening up on a few lakes and ponds. 

Milkweed pods, a nice plant to have in your yard. Monarch Butterflies rely on this plant to lay eggs. Their population has decreased drastically in the last decade and they need our help to survive. I have seven varieties around my yard, but also put a lot of other flowers to attract these flying flowers.

A Red-bellied Woodpecker calls out to forest friends.

When the ice fell it shattered into long crystals.
Not too long before I am putting a kayak in the water. I am more than ready.
Sure looks like a smile.

Oh Mister Bluebird, sing your song for me!

12 comments:

  1. Colorful woodpecker and bluebird you captured, Steve, although it seemed early for the bluebird but then I admit to not knowing too much about this species.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ice crystals are really great, but I love the wildlife you captured and how they add some color to the still landscapes.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read somewhere that it's important to plant milkweed native to your area, not just any ole milkweed, for the Monarchs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 63?!? That is amazing. Love your shots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are some wonderful pics! Love the woodpecker. Good job on all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doggy Smiles Rule!


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring's busting out all over! It's nice to see all the migrating birds. We have a few early migrants here but the big push will be at least another three or four weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the swans. There are quite a few here this year. They are so white against the blue skies. I saw one crash and burn when it tried to take off! Lol! It hit the bank of the creek and cart wheeled. He was ok. Sat there fora few minutes, then took off again.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing all the birds. I went to a swan refuge and only saw two there.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!