Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Trumpeter Swans


As I got closer to the melt area on the lake I cold see lots of white along the shore. Getting closer I noticed they were what I had just came for, Trumpeter Swans. There were over thirty in this group. There was  a breeding pond here for years, so those who return are possibly babies.



The darker one is a youngster, maybe with a parent here.





You can see more on the opposite shore.


A small group  flew off, maybe going toward the river to sleep. It is so magnificent to watch and listen to these beautiful birds. Their honk sounds like a French Horn and carries across the lake. I laugh hoping they did this to say goodbye and thanking me for a nice quiet day watching them with a pair of tiny dogs.

13 comments:

  1. What beautiful creatures swans are! You can see why they inspire legends and poetry and ballets. Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely shots! I especially like the one with the three swans...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shot of those 3 swans is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great. How fun to get to watch them

    ReplyDelete
  5. How lucky you are to see them. I used to go chasing birds along the Mississippi and I was never fortunate enough to see a swan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are truly magnificent birds. They stop here for a while on their way north.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like the swans, and I like even more that all those geese are crowding around them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi OOTP - love swans ... And their trumpeting honks - they're well named. I am just so glad I don't have your cold and its ancillary 'donations'!! Thanks for your support re my hip - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sight- and lucky you to see them! They are pretty birds.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, they are absolutely Gorgeous! I think they are my favorite...
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. They're wonderful to see, aren't they? I don't know if they're way up here or not but I would see them occasionally at my last home. Great catches.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Almost extirpated here some decades ago they're now making a nice comeback....

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!