Thursday, February 26, 2015

Frozen Wonders

Too-wheet, too-wheet, to,to to-A male Cardinal calls his mate with a first springtime call. I heard my first today, and it makes me smile. I smile knowing Spring is not too far away. These icicles are seepage that flows through the limestone. These were once ocean reefs, and form all the nearby hills you enjoy seeing me hike through.




Huge ice flows along the river, bump and grind so softly going downstream.  Many have stopped their journey and line the riverbank. They will wait for the arrival of spring to melt them.




A parade of water lovers crowd into an even smaller area at the lake.
It was hard to get a good count on the swans, I swapped cars with a friend and didn't have any binoculars. I would say similar to the groups numbers the other day.


 Ice pushing up over the shore


This is looking toward the sun from underneath a sheet that pushed up in the air along the shore.
This was my favorite playing with light and textures.

14 comments:

  1. some really great pictures of the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO cold and SO gorgeous...
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures and a geological history lesson as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly do have some good signs of spring. Ice along the shore won't last long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of the icicles and giant shards and blocks. It's a good illustration of nature's way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's been a long time since I've visited your blog. Lovely pictures, I really like the deer. Brrr, so cold!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like being able to enjoy the beauty of the ice from the warmth and comfort of my living room :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the look of ice on water and the icicles. They're so pretty.
    Spring is just a few weeks away! :) and we set the clocks ahead in 9 days!!! YES!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful scenes. Very similar to our limestone " Bluff Country."

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got some great shots of the ice. It sure looks cold there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi OOTP - nature is amazing ... the ice creations here - the 'huge' chunks of ice wearing away the river sides, or bottom ... then the frozen waterfall seepage - love that nature too said I was here too at the bottom of that ocean many moons ago.

    Spring does sound like it's coming for you - as too here .. but thankfully we don't have your cold! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too love taking pictures of Ice and Icicles.. Right now --I don't love ICE very much... ha... The ice storm and the 50 mph winds devastated our area. Some people are still without power even after almost a week... SAD...

    BUT--I love your pictures --and I still love WINTER although I love seeing and hearing signs of spring too.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the icy scenes. We won't be seeing them for much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ice has a beauty all its own and the patterns created are quite fascinating. I especially like to see a freshly frozen puddle and there are quite a lot of these right now around Nashua, NH.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!