Saturday, February 7, 2015

Cardinals In the Snow

A color so perfect to go with a snowy background.





Don't these look black and white?

Just to warm you up a bit. My orchids are all starting to bloom. I have a large collection in my kitchen window, where they really like the weather. I got two unique miniatures today at Trader Joe's.


A quick snap and off they go. One has to be fast some days,  and patient sitting in the cold. It is hard to wear gloves and shoot, but some days I do give it a try. The cold can penetrate any clothing sitting still for a long time. The other day I had my camera under my second coat trying to keep it warm and when I got back to where I wanted to shoot I had lost my battery to the cold. I need a second, but always forget to bring one. It made me think of film days when  running out of film was real hazardous, especially when I was traveling with research crews. One time in the Badland's a storm was coming through and barely missed us. The sun started breaking and the entire campground went running to get at the right area for the sunset. I found a friend from earlier in the day who was working for National Geographic. We got back and were shooting as fast as we could. He ran out of film and I gave him a roll , knowing how far it would be to get any others. It was just cool being close and talking, sharing war stories. I also hoped he might say I should join his production team. I never saw him again.

20 comments:

  1. Love your pictures. I wish we had cardinals in California. They are such beautiful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the cardinals in the snow. Your orchids are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos ARE NG quality!
    And it's snowing too! Beautiful and cold!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I hope that National Geographic guy thanked you profusely. I sure do appreciate digital cameras because of the unlimited number of photos one can take. It has made the job of pro photographers so much easier, or so I imagine.

    I am jealous of regions that have cardinals and cannot understand why these birds refuse to pay me a visit in western OR. The winters are so much easier here! They would like it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cardinals put me in a Christmasy mood. But the blue jay is summer to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You not only showed off the red cardinal against the snow background but also had a few snowflakes. Bare hands on a camera in the cold are a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always loved seeing cardinals on a snowy day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cardinals are great. I keep wishing I'll get to see a few birds in their natural settings like that. Maybe my trees are too big to see them well. I used to think cardinals and bluejays must be related, but seeing them sitting there together makes them look very different.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Winter pictures, Steve. We have gotten almost NO snow here this year... Our winter has been fairly mild comparing it to last winter. We have had some cold days -but very little rain or snow....

    Love seeing your birds... Cardinals are especially pretty in Winter, don't you think????

    Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that is lovely! My grandma (the love of my life) loved cardinals. They always remind me of her. So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent photos of the fluffed up cardinals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these fluffy birdies. Research? What kind of research did you do?

    ReplyDelete
  13. As striking as the male cardinals are, I have always loved the colouring of the females best. That's a wonderful shot of the two cardinals with the jay.

    ReplyDelete
  14. SO beautiful! Thank you for stopping by my blog this morning and for your very kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. love the winter birds! such beauties. :) thanks for visiting my tree/sunset post - bless that sweet hilary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello greetings and good wishes.

    Excellent photos of beautiful Cardinal.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  17. The picture with the cardinals and blue jay. Fantastic, I really like the juxtaposition of the colors between them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very nice. I can watch my cardinals for hours against the snowy background....:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for commenting. I do love the red of cardinals avainst the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Steve, the cardinals were striking as they always are with a white snowy background. When we first moved to the VA eastern shore I marveled at the numbers that would come to the backyard feeders since growing up in NJ there were never any around. Now, I miss seeing them in NH, so thanks for the trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!