Monday, December 22, 2014

A Brief Snow





I liked how a five year old grandson was able to read all the large words in this book . Using both large and small print allows the sharing of reading interests with an adult.
 For those who celebrate, may you have a nice holiday.

A Black-capped Chickadee blends so well
The red male has a beak full of snow looking  for some food.
Northern Cardinal
Female Red-bellied Woodpecker


I listened intently as I waited for those tiny reindeer.

Who fly around the world faster and faster every year.

I kept hearing noises and wondering what it could be.

Perhaps a newer, faster sled, could this really happen to me?

 

My front door slammed, who is it now?

I grabbed my coat and went out to give them holy cow!

Bursting outside, “Whose banging at my door?”, said he.

Just some cute little carolers running down my road, getting away from me.

10 comments:

  1. I saw that same book except the title was Santa is coming to Pennsylvania.
    Love your poem at the end there. very clever

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the red bird, gleaming out of the grey woods. What a great shot!

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shot of the woodpecker! Love the poem.
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bright reds actually startled me. I love them. I so wish we had cardinals here. We had snow today and it felt good to see the birds enjoying the birdseed after what had to be a long cold windy winter night for them. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So you will have some white for Christmas. There very little caroling here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't exciting when they start to read well? My twins are just now picking it up. So much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautifull pictures. We don't have cardinals here in Sacramento, but they are such beautiful birds.I liked your poem at the end. Hope you have great holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I keep seeing all of your birds and hoping some of them will come my way too. Then I think I need to get out a bit earlier in the day for them. One of these times It'll happen. Have a Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi OOTP - lovely photos ... and the red cardinals, red bellied woodpecker - wonderful name ... and happy 5 year olds reading already - ready to share books and love of words with Grandpa ... excellent news ...

    Lovely thoughts and happy times as 2015 looms ever closer .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wishing you a happy new year and wonderful times in the outdoors!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!