Monday, November 24, 2014

Let's Talk Turkey


It's that time of year to eat a large bird, too many side dishes and hopefully  lots of dessert. Those who know me well know that I may want to start at the dessert end of the meal. I would be stopped if there are children present. My favorite side is the mashed potatoes and gravy.  I would prefer to grill the turkey, but then I would lose the great juices to make gravy. My daughter fattened up a dozen birds this year which makes for a good meal for many. My tradition is to box up the complete meal of ingredients and find a family who needs help to overeat for the day. One year I helped pass out six of these boxes, and the same at Christmas. I had an employer who gave free turkeys to each employee for both holidays and came up with the idea. All who donated always went to family gatherings and had a meal prepared for them anyway. I prefer prime rib or lobster for that next holiday.
 
There is not much to eat other than the breast on these wild birds. I  am more a leg man, as was my grandfather. I used to tease him that I got one near a nuclear plant and they had four legs and were self cooking. My father always took pride in finding the largest bird, and one year it barely fit in the oven. I can still see my mother's eyes rolling when she retold the story, along with my father's always mischievous smile.  Share with me a family tradition and/or favorite items you like for the holiday. Happy Thanksgiving to those who celebrate.
 





These birds are hard to get close to. Ben Franklin thought the turkey should be our national bird because they were so smart. I have seen the bald Eagles arriving and enjoy that we chose them.
Run, it's the guy with a camera!



9 comments:

  1. I do not care about turkey but I love the sides!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI OOTP .. I do love Turkey - preferably the brown meat like you, but white too .. and all the trimmings ... not so keen on desserts ... but I will eat them! I wrote about a wild turkey man I saw a film about "Let's Talk Turkey" - it fascinated me.

    We don't do Thanksgiving here .. but it's infiltrating our psyche .... another party to go to ... or lunch ... I nearly went but decided I needed to get on. Love the shots you've taken ... while the Eagles are amazing creatures too ...

    Someone here gave me a turkey near Easter ... took me by surprise ... I fed them - two elderly sisters for 2 or three meals, me obviously!, I took some up to the Nursing Centre for them to enjoy, and then the bones and carcass with some extra meat to some friends who enjoy making soup ... many were satisfied ...

    Enjoy tomorrow - and giving a box away sounds a great idea .. we're doing a Food Bank blogfest next week ... cheers and enjoy your fodder!! Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhhh! The stuffing! With gravy! Gravy on everything! Lol! :)
    And a prime rib to die for at Christmas. OMG! Haha! I already have my " fat" pants out! :)
    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your families!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my favorite is the mashed potatoes and gravy, or maybe the stuffing, or maybe the sweet potatoes, or it could be the pumpkin pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving. enjoy your dessert. That's why you've been making pies lately!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a gang of about two dozen wild turkeys cross the highway in front of me today. They acted like they owned that crosswalk which did not exist. Beaks in the air they just sauntered across the road. At least the final three or four of them had the courtesy to rush a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't quite look at them and think "yum." But once they're on the plate.. that's different.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, Steve.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the turkey pictures, and the story. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!