Friday, November 14, 2014

Forest Stairway





Finding green anywhere this time of year has a charm. We don't seem to have very long seasons, the summer and winter weather is dominant this year. The stairs were a nice find especially when ascending this steep hill to return to my vehicle. The dogs are jealous of all the deer we see during rut. I have a hard time keeping them quiet and close to me. They busted out two huge bucks the other day while hiking and I was impressed when they stopped at my command . Chasing a deer isn't a good idea, they are too fast and don't need the additional trouble. Yesterday I was making clicking sounds to get a buck to look my direction and Daisy thought I needed kisses. Missed the shot, but know there will be more.  I met a fellow from Pennsylvania the other day fishing who didn't get his out of state tag, but came along anyway. He would have melted seeing my file of shots I have taken this year. Told him we just lasso our deer, and he wasn't sure if that was a fib or truth. Of course while fishing the truth can get stretched a bit, and I am the best when I have the right audience. A friend who was a priest used to enjoy my bringing my daughters to visit him, just to hear how their fishing tales grew. He knew he could keep their interest by asking if any got away. We would work on a jigsaw puzzle he kept on a board just so he could place the last piece in it to say he had finished  the puzzle. He them would glue it down and place it on his wall. Simple things bring the biggest happiness out on the prairie.














7 comments:

  1. Hi OOTP - they're keeping an eye on you .. lovely photos ... and good about the fishy tales - your daughters and families will enjoy those embellishments - and it's good to leave people confused at times ... Fishing sounds great ... I've had a few fish from the pier .. can't for the life of me remember what they were - I'll have to ask!! Cheers and enjoy the last vestiges of late autumn ..

    Wonderful stairs ... what a treat in woodland ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. lots of great shots. still plenty of green here but with this cold front and a freeze coming in a few days, I expect it will hurry the leaves on to the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful shots of the deer! I love those stairs what a cool find!
    True story, I witnessed it! We were out at night raccoon hunting with a couple friends, when we saw a porcupine on the meadow. We like to "save" the animals for the taxidermist. Cameron didn't want too shoot it, so his friend got a rope and roped the bugger right around the middle. Hoisted him up and yelled, " now what do you want to do within"? Lol! We put him in a barrel in the back of the pick up....
    True story!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great look at fall on the prairie. Did you draw the heart in the dirt or was it the dog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some very interesting shots of deer. they better be in a no hunting zone as they seem to be pretty bold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice photos. I was wondering if you had your dogs along when you took the last deer photos. Our dog, Ella, is very good about not chasing. I filled my tag today. Glad to be butchering tomorrow. Nothing like a freezer and pantry filled with venison.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love to see some of that green right now. I'm seeing all white after today, but that's okay too. Great deer shots.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!