Saturday, October 18, 2014

A Colorful Tale

Those last few blooms are precious
Just like the first ones you see
Treasures are always around us
Out on the prairie.

With the color of the leaf and sun coming through the last patch of gold, this leaf almost appeared on fire.
Maybe it is the translucence making them seem like stained glass that I like when  shooting fall colors. I shot this from down below this sumac.

Chipmunk hunters being called back from protecting me from these fast little rodents. One has teased them here a few times so they are on the alert each time returning to this area on the trail. I need to learn the little chip, chip sound they make just to catch these guys off guard. This is a good birding area, and I have been trying to get a shot of tree sparrows that are coming back to the state. For some birds coming from the north, the winters here are a lot milder. Junco and Bald Eagle are two more winter visitors returning recently. From big to small they are all gems to me. It is funny what can make your day or week special.
 g



Brown Thrasher
They blend into the landscape well.
After about four times of making this mess I think she finally has gotten it out of her system. Perhaps it is an example of why someone shouldn't give a dog a Nerf ball. A friend passed it on thinking it a good idea. The first time I told her not to destroy it, but after that her antics were so comical it became funny. It was easy to clean up, and each time I wondered about taking it away. The good laugh was worth it. I think we empty nesters spoil pets sometimes more than we did our children.

COLD

White Marigolds

9 comments:

  1. Hi OOTP - love the purple flower - beautiful bloom .. no wonder you treasure it .. as too the other views ... lucky you to have so many visitors ... birds travelling south or staying over ... the flowers are just lovely ... White marigolds .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, I love your photos . . . this was like taking a lovely autumn walk. You and the camera belong together like chocolate and peanut butter . . . a perfect match :)
    Have a lovely weekend.
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Give a dog a ball and she will have a great time as you have shown us, Steve. And, your comment about those with no children around spoiling pets is well taken. Currently, we have neither and so manage to spoil ourselves it seems. Fall is also my favorite time for imagery and the nature provides a never ending palette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure have your share of beautiful colour out your way. The sweetest are those pooches though. Animals always make it that much better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your comment on over wintering juncos and eagles interests me. We have bald eagles and golden eagles overwintering here.
    ,We also have juncos over wintering. We get them in our Christmas bird count.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, we sure do spoil our lil ones. Lucy loves empty paper towel card boards. She loves to tear them to teeny tiny pieces...and I allow it. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  7. everything is so pretty.
    I had to laugh at Daisy with the nerf ball. It reminds me of Duke when he got a hold of a stuffed toy. He would shake the life out of it until there was stuffing all over the floor. I rarely bought them for him but occasionally I would find one that was so cute I couldn't pass it up

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the white marigolds. The chipmunks here drive my poor Ella nuts. They get under our board sidewalk and she is sooooo close. Our cabin is up in the hills behind Deadwood, SD. The owl photos were shot on some land we hunt on the prairie to the north. I'm originally from around Pierre.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never seen a white marigold. I don't plant them though all the nurseries sell them. they just don't do well in our climate. happy little dogs and pretty blue flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!