Sunday, September 21, 2014

Monarch Tagging




 
I have been hanging out with a real rough and tumble group this week tagging Monarch butterflies. This is part of a migration study with the University of Kansas. You can find out more on their website. You can see the tiny sticker we place on them in the shot above, between the two thumbs. I enjoy working with a number of groups and have done this since 1992. They migrate to Mexico for the winter. Their numbers have dwindled in the last few years, their winter area has been disrupted with agriculture, logging and bad weather.
 








11 comments:

  1. Interesting. How do you tag them without marring them in some way. I did have monarch caterpillars attach to my fennel plants earlier this summer. I was happy to see them. You certainly do interesting things in your spare time. I need to get better at that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a tiny sticker placed on the lower wing. We identify them as male and female and record time and place they are found.

      Delete
  2. Incredible!! I Never knew you could tag a butterfly! I was always taught to Never touch their wings because of the fine powdery substance on them...
    Cool!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never would have thought you could tag a butterfly without doing damage. Very cool that you're taking part in this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An interesting outing. What is the expected lifespan of a monarch? And how many of the ones that are tagged are actually found?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for working to assist the monarch's return .

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is amazing!


    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what an amazing adventure! I would love to do that! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting. I thought I had read somewhere that their life span was very short. I didn't know that they migrated

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing shots and beautiful monarchs. the only way I get to see them is in pictures. have not seen a single monarch this year. nor many other kinds either. or bees.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!