Sunday, August 31, 2014

On That Golden Road



It must be a lunch club.


Those horses were just here, where did they go?

There have been lots of tomatoes around. I even sent some to a friend lonely for that fresh from Iowa taste. She had told me when her father was alive he often sent corn and tomatoes. That was all I needed to hear and I had some in the mail. This is a Brandywine variety that makes some real nice slicers. I'm actually getting tired of bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches. I have had tomatoes fixed many ways with each of my dinner meals for quite some time. Sometimes I feel I like to share them as much as I like to eat them. This will make a nice salad tonight with fried corn and fried chicken. I probably will cool down with some watermelon if I have room.










It is hard to get a close photo of those goldfinches. I laughed sitting yesterday listening to them and realized it sounded like my grandmothers canary. I could smell her kitchen,  often sitting at the table with a deck of cards not too far away. At night this would be the hub of activity with a variety of card games with my parents. We stood close, listening to the banter and hardly ever watching TV.

10 comments:

  1. Hi OOP - love the photo with man and food! Fresh tomatoes are so good aren't they - and how lovely to get some sent across to a friend sorely missing her 'scent' of home tomatoes ...

    Gorgeous photos - and out for lunch .. sounds good .. then the gold finch - quite extraordinary how they match for colour - nature is amazing .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been harvesting huge meaty tomatoes as well, and they are so delicious! Love your nature shot. Having just posted some images from my recent nature outing, I can appreciate what it took to take them.

    Mersad
    Mersad Donko Photography

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful captures, Steve. I love the butterflies and the giant tomato and that look of contentment on your "born to fish" face. :) Mostly I love that the goldfinch chatter brought back a fond memory for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi There, Hope you had a great Labor Day Weekend. We did --but didn't do much since it has gotten so hot here. We did grill a couple of delicious steaks and had baked potatoes, tomatoes, cucumbers, pickles and cranberry relish for dinner... YUM...

    Love the yellows of late summer/early fall.... AND--that tomato looks awesome --next to that very happy fella!!!!! We love summer tomatoes and eat one (sliced with some salt) both for lunch and for dinner every day... YUM....

    Interesting how smells and sounds remind us of something in our past.. My mother wore a certain kind of powder --and every once in awhile, I can smell HER.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like your shirt! :)
    And that butterfly with the blue tail spots, very pretty!
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always all the pictures are fantastic captures of life on the prairie. The tomato especially caught my eye. It is gorgeous and made my mouth water. Makes me think of Sunday dinners on the farm. We ate outside at picnic tables. Besides all the other goodies there were always plenty of sliced tomatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your flowers but I like the tomatoes more. I'm a fanatic about growing and eating tomatoes. I have the same sandwiches but without the bacon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't eat enough tomatoes. Every time I get some I really like them and wonder why I don't eat them more often.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the pictures. That tomato looks awfully tasty. I could go for a tomato sandwich right now. :)
    Our feeders get mostly gold finches and they've gotten used to being closer to the house. The don't take off quite as quickly as they used to. Before all I had to do was get close to the window and they were gone. Now I can walk up to the window and watch them for quite a while

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!