Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Iowa Beauty

Plants in planters on my patio

I have noticed numerous House Wrens occupying the Bluebird houses. They have such a happy song, I have a hard time holding a grudge. I do miss the previous occupants as well, keeping track of the fledglings is like watching family. The Bluebirds are using a lot of the houses, but seem thin this year so far. Perhaps they need new digs, so I plan on building some new houses and placing them in different places. Spending time at the lake, I asked many of the conservation officers and  they have noticed the same trend. Another treasure this week has been the return of Monarchs and Swallowtails. I see more and more of these flying flowers each day. Many of you know I enjoy hunting them to get good close-ups. I went to a favorite area last Saturday, but the sprinkles turned into six hours of rain.  This caused a fishing friend to cancel, even though fish don't seem to care if it rains.  I talked her in to it the next day, we caught so many we missed a great outdoor service on Sunday with a lake ministry from a local Dutch Reformed church. A fellow fishing close wasn't getting as many as I was so I shared a few catfish with him. I held my first up and asked if he wanted one, or I would put him back. He said yes to all that arrived. Many praise this fish, but I don't care for it, but enjoy reeling them in. He said the smaller ones made a good soup, I am not sure I have seen a recipe. When he left he gave me his leftover worms and said he hoped to fish with me again the next week. I laughed as he had a hard time getting all of his catch in a five gallon bucket. One tail waved goodbye as he ascended the steep hill back to his truck. What a great time camping and meeting new friends. As I unpacked I wished I had stayed, it is so restful for me enjoying the outdoors. My happiness was carried off on a gentle prairie breeze for all to enjoy.

 Beardtongue
White Indigo

Spiderwort

Peeking out
Purple Coneflower opening up
Golden Alexander

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day. I"m not a catfish fan either. I have several large ones under my dock and they wait for me to walk down it. When I feed the ducks they make certain they get their share. But, just like bullheads we would sometimes get up in Minnesota, we don't fish them out.

    Love the flowers - must say, more than the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done much fishing, mainly because I have a hard time sitting still and being patient but you make it sound enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really liked seeing that peeking frog, Steve, fiven our fondess for them😏. Neve tried catfish anything, but lots of folks here in southern states, and in other places obviously, do enjoy these bottom feeders. All of us who read your posts do know you would much rather be outdoors than anywhere else, even on a rainy day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I do believe the bluebird numbers are down along with many of the other songbirds in recent years. How sad.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's interesting about the bluebirds vs. wrens. Hopefully some new houses will bring them back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there anything more pleasant and life-enhancing than looking at and partaking of nature? I can’t think of anything.

    Seems to me you have a serious case of the outdoor enjoyment bug.

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love wrens and am happy when the choose to nest close by. They raised a nest full in the birdhouse hanging on the porch this year. Beards tongue, penstemon by another name? Yes, it was penstemon on the etched glass panel.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a pretty good day. And I love that picture of the peeking frog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely photos! Yes, peaceful watching the birds. We have Phoebes nesting, with 5 little ones!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good post. I love watching the birds. we have a bunch of feeders all around the back area. Right now we have a family of Hairy Woodpeckers hogging the suet feeders. MB

    ReplyDelete
  11. After two trips to Iowa in the last three years, it is one of my favorite places. Thanks for your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know if I am more aware this year or if there are just more birds nesting in my yard. Robins, wrens, catbirds...no bluebirds though.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it positive and informative,I enjoy hearing from you!